Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Invest it. This was an interesting piece in the NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/12/yo...ch.html?src=me
    Ah great timing, thanks.

I wouldn't pay off the mortgage if there are tax advantages and with some research you can invest in low fee mutual funds that will give you a better rate of return than 3.25%.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Great tips. We actually do have a property - that is their college fund . But I was thinking about another one, as income flow and long term investment - but dont' think 100K is enough plus can be high risk. I am keeping an eye open though.
    If this is the case, then I would suggest a true financial advisor who can put together a coordinated plan for you (considering retirement, social security, college, life insurance, and other investments as a whole) rather than a broker. You may be leaving tax advantages and savings on the table by planning to use real estate as "college savings" when you could get an upside from traditional 529 or similar plans.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm a conservative investor. I would like to be a more aggressive investor. I learned conservatism in investing from my father who declined my request to buy Apple stock when I was a kid (so waaaaay before the iPhone and even before Macintosh.) He bought IBM instead. Sigh.
    Seriously, were you and I separated at birth!? My dad finally bought the apple stock, AFTER the iPhone.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Default If you had 100K in savings what would you do with it

It isn't that much money if something goes wrong so I would not do a vacation, Disney (not my vacation of choice anyway), rather I'd invest some conservatively and some of it more aggressively for long term. I wouldn't use it to buy property unless I already knew what I was doing in that area and had done it before successfully. Finding a trustworthy financial adviser can be hard but I'd try and invest it. I would also probably bump up my emergency fund a little more.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lkoala View Post
    I wouldn't pay off the mortgage if there are tax advantages and with some research you can invest in low fee mutual funds that will give you a better rate of return than 3.25%.
    The tax advantages of a mortgage are highly overrated. The standard deduction is high enough you'd have to have a LOT of things to itemize to overcome it. And you get the standard deduction even if you DON'T pay out the interest in your mortgage.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

If we're halving things for a LCOL, I know I would not be happy here with only $20k as an emergency fund. How many months does $40k get you? I prefer 6-8 months saved for emergency. So, I'd probably bump that up.

Then, I'd look at other places - do you have money set aside for a replacement car? Do you have any other big expenses that might come up that this would help speed up the saving pace?

After that, I'd find someone to help me invest it, if I didn't think I could myself.
    Kris

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Um, I would leave it sitting in savings.

I don't recommend that as a sound strategy, though.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Um, I would leave it sitting in savings.

I don't recommend that as a sound strategy, though.
    This is what I've been doing for sometime, so you are not alone. Hey at least I didn't lose anything!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    If we're halving things for a LCOL, I know I would not be happy here with only $20k as an emergency fund. How many months does $40k get you? I prefer 6-8 months saved for emergency. So, I'd probably bump that up.

Then, I'd look at other places - do you have money set aside for a replacement car? Do you have any other big expenses that might come up that this would help speed up the saving pace?

After that, I'd find someone to help me invest it, if I didn't think I could myself.
    I think that's fair. As of now I'm thinking 1/2 keep in savings (doubling our emergency fund) and 1/2 invest...not sure how or where yet, some index fund maybe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast