Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Same thought, wouldn't this be massive news? It's too shocking for it to not get immediate attention.
    It was on the national news tonight. All my good feelings about Russia in the Olympics have completely reversed the last 3 months.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

horrifying. no other way to describe it.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

It is AWFUL and terrifying-- my Jewish ancestors fled the Ukraine long ago, so I take this stuff seriously-- that such an awful hoax should have been perpetrated, but it is NOT true the the Ukraine is requiring Jews to register. This incident would be akin to a hate group in this country handing out such leaflets and signing them from the governor of whatever state. It's a horrible, hateful thing, but, thank God, not an actual move by a legitimate government. It's still frightening, though, because as long as there are groups willing to perpetrate such hoaxes, there is the threat that their ideas will spread. Anti-semitism has never died, and the danger of that continuing hate is very real.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Wow. Speechless. Just the title of this post sent chills down my spine.
    I agree. I'm not sure if it was the pro-Russia force, the gov't trying to make those forces look bad, or random thugs. It's still very scary. This is from the NY Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/wo...ref=world&_r=0
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure if it was the pro-Russia force, the gov't trying to make those forces look bad, or random thugs. It's still very scary. This is from the NY Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/wo...ref=world&_r=0
    ITA - I grew up in the neighbouring region. I can bet it's a provocation. Ukrainians are losing their country, region by region. They feel helpless while the rest of the world watches in silence. I won't be surprised if some idiot thought this was a good way to make the rest of the world finally pay attention or do something.
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Heard this mentioned on NPR today, and they were saying that it's been shown to be a hoax.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/wo...html?ref=world
    Last edited by LMPC; 04-18-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added link
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    Heard this mentioned on NPR today, and they were saying that it's been shown to be a hoax.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/wo...html?ref=world

Just to clarify, it is not a hoax that the fliers were handed out. Every major news source I have seen (including this one) has reported that these fliers were handed out. The 'hoax' part is that it is not true that the government was the one issuing them or that there was any requirement by the government. It seems at this point that this is false information being distributed by some other group to stir things up.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This disdain with which this is being treated is appalling. If you can handle the condescension, check this out: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...-jews-register
    Please, it's offensive that anyone is handing this out. It's good that it's not the government, but it's really bad that people think it's okay that anyone did it.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    This disdain with which this is being treated is appalling. If you can handle the condescension, check this out: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...-jews-register
    Please, it's offensive that anyone is handing this out. It's good that it's not the government, but it's really bad that people think it's okay that anyone did it.
    I agree with this. Assuming that the people behind it are truly extremist thugs that are not mainstream on either side of the conflict, and I hope this is the case, these people may have had the primary goal of giving a black eye to those who it may have framed, but that doesn't make it any less frightening and antisemitic. It is easy to get comfortable, but the mob mentality is really just beneath the surface and that is frightening. And I typically do not skew to the paranoid. My grandparents were also Holocaust survivors.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Just to clarify, it is not a hoax that the fliers were handed out. Every major news source I have seen (including this one) has reported that these fliers were handed out. The 'hoax' part is that it is not true that the government was the one issuing them or that there was any requirement by the government. It seems at this point that this is false information being distributed by some other group to stir things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I agree with this. Assuming that the people behind it are truly extremist thugs that are not mainstream on either side of the conflict, and I hope this is the case, these people may have had the primary goal of giving a black eye to those who it may have framed, but that doesn't make it any less frightening and antisemitic. It is easy to get comfortable, but the mob mentality is really just beneath the surface and that is frightening. And I typically do not skew to the paranoid.
    I completely agree. It's scary. Period.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast