Default Pregnant woman kidnapped and forced to have C-section

I found this story to be terrifying. The quote: 'In Brazil, a dead body has more rights than a pregnant woman' gave me chills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mot...caesarean.html

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow. What an horrific experience! Treated like a criminal and -- it really does seem like she was kidnapped and robbed! I can't believe they wouldn't even allow her husband to be there.

I read the whole thing but didn't see a statement from the doctors, and though the country is on her side, will anything be done about this? Or to protect women in the future?

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This may be the most poorly written article I have ever read. The article cites to The Business of Being Born as if it is a well researched article in The New England Journal Of Medicine and not a one sided documentary by Ricki Lake.

Assuming this story is true, it is very sad and weird.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    This may be the most poorly written article I have ever read. The article cites to The Business of Being Born as if it is a well researched article in The New England Journal Of Medicine and not a one sided documentary by Ricki Lake.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Not a well-written article, but still, a chilling story. American women have been forced to have c sections as well. Here's a story from 2004 in Pennsylvania of a woman with a history of 5 vaginal births to babies about 12 pounds being forced to have a c section for her 6th big baby. She went to another hospital, had the baby vaginally, and then heard about the court order.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5012918/ns.../#.U1Cop1ca1Ws

I googled "US hospital court order c section" and found a couple more links, including the case of Pemberton v. Tallahassee RMC, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembert...egional_Center . It appears that a woman was forced to have a c section against her will, perhaps around 1999. Her lawsuit was dismissed. If anyone reads the wikipedia article, I didn;t quite get the last two sentences about In re A.C. Which is another absolutely chilling case of a woman forced to have a C section in 1987 in Washington DC that hastened her death and also resulted in the baby's death, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_re_A.C.. Sounds like the law was changed after that, but apparently didn't apply to the Pemberton case somehow.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is just wrong in SO many ways. Forcibly taking her in and not even allowing her the choice to go to a different hospital. Refusing to tell her that she was nearly complete upon arrival and rushing her to the OR so they could do the C-section. Then the doctors keeping her husband out of the delivery room. Then not showing her the baby over the curtain right when she was born and making her wait to see her baby till she was cleaned up. 6 hours until she was allowed to see her husband.... which means their bonding time was delayed. The one saving grace was the anesthetist who talked to her and kept her updated on what was going on (was probably a woman who felt for her in the situation). The Brazilian government issued a statement because they HAD to respond. The world was watching. I highly doubt it will change their C-section statistics though or anything in regard to women's rights which is really sad.