Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would have two in a minute!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm trying to design a new kitchen. I hate seeing a dish drying rack on the counter-- hate it!!! My mother has put in an extra sink to hold the drying rack in her remodeled kitchen, but if I put in an extra sink, I lose a lot of counter space, and I still see the dishes peeking out the top, and others might think they're a huge pile of dirty ones! I'm considering putting in two dishwashers instead. I figure that one dishwasher will always be the clean one. If I feel lazy, I can sort of pick dishes out of it as I want, but I don't have to put them back in their cabinets. When I hand wash, I can put stuff in the clean dishwasher to dry. Is this crazy? Does anyone have this set-up? Tell me either why it's a terrible idea or a good one, please.
    You can afford to lose the cabinet space?

Personally I'd get out a towel and dry as I put them away rather than give away the cabinet space!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just remodeled our kitchen last summer. We dont have 2 dishwashers, but we do have 2 sinks. One if a large double bowl 10" deep sink. The other is smaller prep sink. I highly recommend 2 sinks if you have the room. We manage with 1 dishwasher, just barely. I think 2 dishwashers might get confusing. It also might make me lazy about emptying the dishwasher. but we dont handwash dishes and have no drying rack. I recommend an extra deep sink because it really does help hide dirty dishes.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Default 2 dishwashers in kitchen reno?

I wash our pans and dry quickly with dish towel, don't stick them back in a dishwasher. That seems pointless. But we have one loaded and run it and can load other. We run one a night, sometimes two. For entertaining t is awesome too. We use them daily but as a real dishwasher not a drying rack. Totally worth it. We still unload every morning. We are no lazier but seem to have a lot of dishes! Have Miele ones too and love them. So quiet and great performance.

Had never seen it before going to my SIL's vacation house on the Cape... they bought a gorgeous, totally remodeled house, and it had two dishwashers. After seeing them "in action" with a regular family of 4 living there for the summer and with frequent overnight and dinner guests (like us, the M/FIL, the other IL Sibs), I was totally jealous and understood having 2. If you're a large family or frequently entertain, I'd say go for it!
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

For our family of 4, I don't feel any need for a second dishwasher. The few things I hand wash, I lay on a dish towel to air dry. I also hate dish drainers.

But for a larger family or a beach/vacation home with a lot of people, I think a second dishwasher would be great! I've seen that at many beach rentals. We often run the dishwasher 2-3 times a day at a beach house. But we have 12 people and are eating all 3 meals at home.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am more of slob than you OP and it doesn't bother me that much and I never hand wash.

If I had space I would do a dishwasher and a single dishwasher drawer, I know fisher and paykel make them.

I think the tradeoff is space and what else you might want to do with that space. My big gripe is fresh food storage space -- we have been switching to more veggies, more homemade, etc and if everyone in the family is "striving for five (to seven)" servings 95% of refrigerators are inadequate, particularly the built-in/integrated/shallow depth ones. For me, I would love to have a few refrigerator drawers in my island so I could store more veggies or a giant refrigerator. I will say frig drawers are ridiculously expensive but there are some deals on seconds. My main point is to really think about the size refrigerator you want as that is going to dictate space planning and in my mind it is priority number one in a kitchen.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I thought about it when we built, but our kitchen isn't quite big enough to give up the space. I do have a main sink (36") and a prep sink as well, which I use ALL THE TIME.

I can think of a lot of situations where 2 would be useful though, especially entertaining. I wouldn't use it as a drying rack though. The reason I end up handwashing is because big pots won't fit in a single dishwasher with all the dishes after preparing and eating a big meal, so I would use the second one for that.

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have two dishwashers, set up on either side of the sink. To the right is a traditional style Thermador dishwasher, and on the other side is a drawer-style Fisher & Paykel. Actually the Fisher & Paykel has two separate drawers that run independently, so technically, we have three dishwashers. And they do all get used, especially after dinner parties.

I will confess that occasionally, rather than unloading and putting away my dishes, I just pull clean items to use from one dishwasher as I fill another with our dirty stuff.

And I will use the top drawer as a drying rack...but just temporarily to hold hand-washed items until I am done loading the other dishwasher and can take the time to towel dry.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have two in our remodeled kitchen and I am very, very happy we did it. We have five all the time plus frequent guests. I don't use the extra dishwasher to dry hand washed dishes though. I just wash and dry or wash and leave them on the counter to dry. To me the extra steps of loading and unloading hand washed dishes wouldn't be worth it. But for actually having two dishwashers in use and in rotation I love it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast