Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default If you are keeping your child home from public school for a major religious holiday..

What do you say when you call the school to excuse the absence? Do you actually say the child is home for religious reasons (to attend Mass/prayers with the family)? I am concerned that it is not a "valid" reason to miss school, even though I know it is. For the record, said child has missed two days for illness during the last year. I am sure I am overthinking this.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would just say that you are keeping them home for a family religious celebration.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I would just say that you are keeping them home for a family religious celebration.
    You might also check your district's policy - in ours, absences due to religious observance are marked "as present." It doesn't even show up as an absence on the record.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes absolutely.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by missym View Post
    You might also check your district's policy - in ours, absences due to religious observance are marked "as present." It doesn't even show up as an absence on the record.
    Wow, so interesting. I had no idea. I will ask when I call this morning. Thanks!
    Kelli

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would just do it and not worry. Nathan is missing 2 days because we are attending his brothers college graduation.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In my district students are allowed to be excused for 2 days due to religious reasons. You are still marked absence, but it is excused vs unexcused. I would just tell them he is absent due to a religious observance.

Does he have school on Good Friday?? I would imagine tons of students would be absent on Good Friday. My district actually started giving us two Jewish holidays off as unassigned days as so many students/teachers were missing those days.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In our district, the parents have to write a letter and submit it a few days ahead of the observance to have the absence be excused and to prevent homework and assessments from being given...

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    In my district students are allowed to be excused for 2 days due to religious reasons. You are still marked absence, but it is excused vs unexcused. I would just tell them he is absent due to a religious observance.

Does he have school on Good Friday?? I would imagine tons of students would be absent on Good Friday. My district actually started giving us two Jewish holidays off as unassigned days as so many students/teachers were missing those days.
    Yes, our schools have class this week, including Good Friday. This is our first year in public school though, and obviously our private (Catholic) school had Thursday and Friday off.
    Kelli

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Yes, our schools have class this week, including Good Friday. This is our first year in public school though, and obviously our private (Catholic) school had Thursday and Friday off.
    Is that because of the snow days?? I've gone to public school all my life and teach public school and we have always had Good Friday off. That is awful that they scheduled school for today. I would take it off and not give it a second thought!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast