Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default favorite facial moisturizers with broad spectrum protection?

I love my Elta MD UV Clear for summertime, but it's not moisturizing enough for every day use in the springtime. I want something with SPF 30 (or higher) that's moisturizing and broad spectrum. I picked up some Olay moisturizer with SPF 30, but realized when I got home that it's NOT broad spectrum. The Cerave SPF 30 moisturizer also doesn't specify that it's broad spectrum. Both the Olay and the Cerave have the same active ingredients as the Elta MD, but less zinc oxide. Is this what makes something broad spectrum?

Aveeno seems to make one that fits the bill. It doesn't get spectacular reviews, though, and the active ingredients are completely different from Olay's and Elta's, both of which agree with my skin. I am a little nervous about changing.

What are people using? Something I could get at CVS/Walgreens/Ulta is my preference.

ETA: Not worried about chemicals or EWG ratings for safety .
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 04-18-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bought this one on a whim one day at Target and I like it: http://www.target.com/p/boots-no7-be...ot=medium_1_19

One reviewer complained about the scent. It has a definite fragrance, but I don't find it to be that strong and I am fairly sensitive to fragrances.

ETA: It's only SPF 15, but I find that to be enough personally since I am not often out in the middle of the day.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you tried EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40, which is EltaMD's light moisturizer and is not oil-free? I have dry skin and use this. The EltaMD Clear is oil-free, and the Daily is not oil-free. If you have normal to oily skin, this may work for you. With my dry skin, I find that I need to still supplement with a separate moisturizer sometimes. But this formula should be more moisturizing than the Clear one. It is a light moisturizer.

http://eltamd.com/product/uv-daily-b...ectrum-spf-40/
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Have you tried EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40, which is EltaMD's light moisturizer and is not oil-free? I have dry skin and use this. The EltaMD Clear is oil-free, and the Daily is not oil-free. If you have normal to oily skin, this may work for you. With my dry skin, I find that I need to still supplement with a separate moisturizer sometimes. But this formula should be more moisturizing than the Clear one. It is a light moisturizer.

http://eltamd.com/product/uv-daily-b...ectrum-spf-40/
    I just realized that I have a sample size of this. I am going to try it today! I think they also make an SPF 30 version. I wish I could buy it locally.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Thanks, CVB - I am going to check this out at CVS.
    Green Tea, mom to three

elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was looking for the same thing. This is on the one I bought, based on reviews, but I haven't started using it yet. http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...6&catid=324671

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I like cerave's AM moisturizer. Most other moisturizers with SPF were too thick, but this one feels pretty, 'normal' compared to other moisturizers.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've done well with Simple's daytime moisturizer:

http://www.simpleskincare.com/our-pr...er-spf-15.html
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I just realized that I have a sample size of this. I am going to try it today! I think they also make an SPF 30 version. I wish I could buy it locally.
    I find that Amazon has the best price for this. The price will vary, but I have gotten it for as low as $18 from Amazon. The price usually fluctuates between $19 and $23 on Amazon.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast