flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Integrated Volvo booster seats

Are these any good? Are they as safe as a high backed booster or a forward facing convertible even though no side impact protection? I was planning to rear face until 4 or close to it and then turn the convertible around until booster ready, whenever that is....I really have no idea what you do after rear facing. Obviously it seems really nice to have no actual carseat and just use the built in booster at 5 or 6 yr old, but not if it's much less protection. This would be on a 2015 XC70.

Thank you! BTW, does anyone have that car? Can you fit two narrow carseats in the center and outboard?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

No idea about the actual integrated seats themselves, but I know, in general, there's good points and bad points about integrated seats. When we had the option of using them or not, we didn't use them as a primary seat for one reason only: my luck SUCKS with cars, and if something happened (car broke down in some way and someone needed to come get us), I'd still need a carseat for DD, which meant keeping a spare carseat (or booster, depending on her age) in the trunk if using the integrated seats. Seemed much less convenient when I looked at it from that angle!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Personally, I wouldn't use them as the all the time seat because I prefer a HBB, though I don't think they're any worse than any other LBB. Our best friends have a volvo with those seats, and DS1 has used them when he has carpooled with them for short rides and I felt comfortable with that. But he's in a HBB in our car. He still falls asleep in the car if we're taking a long trip.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We have this car and I really like this option and plan on using it with my kid when he is ready for LBB. I think they should be better than regular LBBs, as they are integrated, so no shifting or worries about the tight install. My 4 year old is not yet ready for this seat, as the seatbelt is not yet positioned well enough, but not by much, If he grows another two inches, it will be just right, and then it would be up to him, whether he would be able to nap in the car without the neck support of the HBB. A friend of mine has the same car and she is raving about convenience of these, because it's super easy to change the configuraiton of your back seat in seconds to accommodate any sitting arrangement. Especially convenient if you have kids of different ages and use it for carpooling, no hassle removing/attaching anything.
    DS 04/2010
    DD 09/2013

They are quite safe, not sure if they are super comfy or not. I was turned off by them because of the price (used to be like 350, while of course a good backless is much less...), but it could be nice to always have a booster in the car that is totally cool like that when you are carpooling other youngsters whose parents let them out of boosters way younger than you ever will let your kid out of one
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#