Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Do I just pay it or suggest something else??

DS got asked to be in a wedding by one of my friends. We used to be very good friends, but kinda lost touch. She needed someone for her ring bearer and I think DS was a last ditch effort because her mom told her she should ask him. I said yes, I didn't want to be rude and didn't think it would be too expensive. Well, I got the info last week and the tux will be $125!! Plus I have to drive a 2 hr round trip to pick it up and then return it. He's 5! I can BUY one for around $50. Should I mention this or just suck it up and pay the rental fee?? When my sister got married, the lady suggested we buy vs rent, but she went through a small store, not one of these big retail places.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd ask if you can purchase one instead. Esp with the 4 hours of travelling (and gas) on top of the price.

(and you could always sell it afterward even if it gets no other use before he outgrows it)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Of course ask! She may not even realize it's a possibility.

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would definitely mention you will buy one and if this is ok,etc.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh good grief. How can people be so out of touch? I would email her or call her and say, "I found a couple comparable tux's that I can order directly. Here are the links. Would either or these work to save me the money/drive time?"

I'd ask. Ds will be 5 in July and is in a wedding this weekend. We bought his tux from JCPenney for $60. $125 just to rent would be a lot to swallow. Here's the link to what DS is wearing, if it helps:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/s...uestid=2646663
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Oh good grief. How can people be so out of touch? I would email her or call her and say, "I found a couple comparable tux's that I can order directly. Here are the links. Would either or these work to save me the money/drive time?"
    That would have been me. Pre-kids, I would have had NO idea that renting was more expensive than buying.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    That would have been me. Pre-kids, I would have had NO idea that renting was more expensive than buying.
    Me, too. I've actually never had to buy or a rent a child's tux so this is news to me. Good to know!

eta: do give your suggestion. Friend might be clueless.
    Last edited by specialp; 04-21-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    I'd ask. Ds will be 5 in July and is in a wedding this weekend. We bought his tux from JCPenney for $60. $125 just to rent would be a lot to swallow. Here's the link to what DS is wearing, if it helps:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/s...uestid=2646663
    Oh my. Not sure why that link didn't work (perhaps because I'm on my phone?) but it took me to a man in some nice bright yellow jockeys. Good for hubby, maybe not the best for a kiddo in a wedding thanks for the laugh.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd ask. But I also suspect that if you just bought the darn thing, she'd never know the difference.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast