Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I can't even really remember.

Dress: nothing. I wore my bridesmaids dress from when my dad got remarried a few months before
    Hair and makeup: can't remember. Guessing maybe $50
    Tickets: I can't even remember, but they were probably pricey because it was on the Queen Mary. Maybe $40-50 a person.
    Limo: $50. This is the only expense I remember clearly. We shared a limo with another couple
    Corsage: maybe $10
    Other expenses: $10? We went to Cheesecake Factory afterwards for dessert. Can't see how it could be more than $10 a person back 20 years ago for a slice of cheesecake.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I went to three proms. Sophomore year I wore my 8th grade graduation dress, so I spent nothing. Junior year I wore the bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding, so nothing again. I assume I bought my date flowers. The limo was probably around $60 per person, three couples. Senior year I skipped school and went shopping with my mom in NYC for my dress. Best day ever. I saw my dress on a mannequin on the first floor of Saks and we both knew I had to wear it. I think it was $450, but I don't really remember exactly. I wore it to several formals my freshman year in college, so it definitely paid for itself. The limo and flowers were probably about the same price. I never paid for any prom ticket and I have no memory of what the tickets cost.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have no clue whatsover. I'm so impressed PP remember with that level of detail!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

'99....
    dress clearance for $18
    shoes...no memory but no way I paid more than $20
    hair & makeup did my self
    nails $20
    got my ears pierced as I. recall $30 maybe?

no limo, can't remember dinner but I think it was mexican so cheap.
    tickets...cheap $40?

this was the homeschool prom :-) so no one went overboard.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

All I know is that I NEVER planned on going to prom. My group of friends was way to cool/alternative to go to prom but about a month before my bff and I decided we should go for some reason. I spent $200 on an awesome black cocktail style dress with sheer sleeves and my mom about killed me. Tickets were cheap ($20?) and we went to dinner at a hibachi place as a group, that part was fun.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    )

Austin Scarlett, on the other hand, made his date's dress, modified bits of his ensemble, paid for professional (NYC) makeup, rented an old-fashioned cab instead of a limo, and looked so 70s superfab that I am royally PISSED I never got a photo with him that night. He was so pretty!!
    No way! I adore him!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I'm a little surprised that people remember how much they spent! I have no clue at all. I feel like I can barely remember what happened last week, let alone 20 plus years ago.
    I'm only guessing. I only know the ballpark on the dress cost because I remember my mom being very adamant about $100 being the upper limit.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just guessing in costs too.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

$150 for dress
    I wore ballet flats every prom (I am very tall) and they were maybe $20
    No hair, makeup was drugstore mainly eye liner!, no limo, no tickets

$170?

ETA one prom I wore a friend's dress (different school so that one was free!)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    No way! I adore him!
    Yep. (I really try not to name-drop, but Austin and I met 22 years ago in our freshman World Civilization class in high school.)

He was our Prom King.

He'd been planning his ensemble for at least a year, mostly vintage/thrift store finds from the City, but he looked AMAZING. And he had makeup done, so eyeliner and such to highlight his gorgeous eyes. I seem to remember him wearing false eyelashes, but that could just be the fog of memory.

I am forever thankful for his instruction on how to apply eyeliner. He also introduced me to the fun of haute couture and is the primary reason I adore the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art so much.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast