Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How much did you spend on your prom?

I heard a stat on the local news that caught me by surprise. They said spending on the prom this year was down. They expected the average [I think they said girl] to spend $904. I thought that was crazy high but then I crunched numbers from many moons ago and with a modest middle class budget...
    dress- $200
    accessories (shoes, purse, jewelry...)- $150
    hair- $50
    tickets- $100/ couple
    limo- $50
    flowers- $15

it adds up. Hotels, dinner before hand, make up,...

What do you think you spent? If you have teens, how much do you think they will spend?

eta- Actually, my dates paid for limo, tickets and extras.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 04-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I didn't go. So $0. Official loser status, no?

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Right there with you!

I know my prom was pricey. My Grandma bought my dress as a gift ( my birthday is in May). I paid for my hair and nails, and my date's boutonnière. My parents covered the tickets (prom was held at The Plaza Hotel), limo, shoes and my mom lent me jewelry and an evening bag. My dress alone was almost $200. I went to an all girls school so we had to ask and take on the expense. My date was in college and my mom had to help him with his shirt, etc.. It required a bit of sewing as someone waited for the last minute and didn't get the correct size!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Limo - $200
    Ticket - $160
    Tux - $80
    Flowers - $50
    Rent a date with the bonus feature - $400

Principals wife showing up as the rent a date - priceless

Proud father of dd 5-30-10

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I went to my Jr. Formal, but not my prom. Jr. Formal I spent <$200 for dress, shoes, hair, etc. I went with a girlfriend - no date. For prom, my boyfriend and I skipped prom, went to a very nice, romantic Italian restaurant for dinner, and then went to a comedy club afterward. It was the best night!! Not sure what was spent that night...but $200 maybe?

Maybe $150? Not even I bet. I got a wicked cool silver and black dress (NON prom dress) at a funky store....then I had my shoes dyed black...got a black rosé from my date and painted my nails black.

Done.

My 18yo (now graduated) DD maybe spent 200.00 - Nordstrom dress, shoes from somewhere...$30 corsage...cousin did her hair and makeup. THey went to Hollywood to Mel's drive in after prom. No biggie.

I'm NOT SPENDING $1000 on prom junk.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd say under 100.00. My parents were in no position to help me pay for anything, so I bought my dress during the previous prom season clearance and got it for 20.00 one year, and 32.00 the next. My mom did my hair, I paid for my nails, tanning leading up to prom, and my dates boutonniere. my date paid for the prom tickets and drove us in his own car. I am so glad I didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money! At that time I would have spend much more money had it been an option, but what a total waste. In all honesty, I feel the same about a big wedding. If I had to do it again, I'd ask my parents to help us with a down payment on a house, and have a very small intimate wedding.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Keeping in mind this was 1986, ahem. :P

Dress - $30. I bought it off the rack the previous year after prom season was over. It was originally to be used as a recital dress.
    Shoes - nothing. I wore a pair of shoes I already had for performances.
    Hair - did it myself
    Makeup - ditto
    Guy's corsage - Less than $10. that's all I recall.
    Tickets - For a pair, they were $60, but my date paid for. Which was really nice of him, because he was a good friend, and went to another HS.

For Jr prom, pretty much the same story except a pair of tickets was $50 and I paid for mine.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast