Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    Limo - $200
    Ticket - $160
    Tux - $80
    Flowers - $50
    Rent a date with the bonus feature - $400

Principals wife showing up as the rent a date - priceless

No way!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I didn't go. So $0. Official loser status, no?
    Same here. I got my best friend all gussied up and then went ice skating at the city pond with her older brothers.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My prom was in 1984 & 1985 I have NO CLUE LOL
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Maybe $150? Not even I bet. I got a wicked cool silver and black dress (NON prom dress) at a funky store....then I had my shoes dyed black...got a black rosé from my date and painted my nails black.

Done.

My 18yo (now graduated) DD maybe spent 200.00 - Nordstrom dress, shoes from somewhere...$30 corsage...cousin did her hair and makeup. THey went to Hollywood to Mel's drive in after prom. No biggie.

I'm NOT SPENDING $1000 on prom junk.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd say under 100.00. My parents were in no position to help me pay for anything, so I bought my dress during the previous prom season clearance and got it for 20.00 one year, and 32.00 the next. My mom did my hair, I paid for my nails, tanning leading up to prom, and my dates boutonniere. my date paid for the prom tickets and drove us in his own car. I am so glad I didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money! At that time I would have spend much more money had it been an option, but what a total waste. In all honesty, I feel the same about a big wedding. If I had to do it again, I'd ask my parents to help us with a down payment on a house, and have a very small intimate wedding.

I went in 1997 with my 2 female BFFs. The 4th member of our group had to work that night. So, the 3 of us attended prom, then had a fancy dinner where the 4th one was working--at Taco Bell.

Dress was on sale at Sears for $70 or so. Shoes $20. My mom owned a wedding shop, so the lady who wanted my mom to recommend her did my hair and nails for free. Car was free (took my mom's minivan). I think our parents all got us our own flowers.

DD1and DD2 didn't go to prom, at least that we can remember.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I went two years - both years my dress was ~$20, I don't think we did flowers, no limo, and I don't think tickets were much. A whole group of us went out for dinner together (mix of couples and singles) at an awesome chinese restaurant.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We only had a Sr. Prom and I know it was rather expensive. I paid most of it, but I recall asking my Dad to chip in on the dress.
    Dress:$250
    Accessories:$75
    Limo:$125
    Tickets:$80
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I didn't go. So $0. Official loser status, no?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Goodness, nearly $1000 is a lot! I never really stopped to think about what I paid, but here's my guess for an 80's prom in the midwest.

Dress: $100
    Shoes: $30
    Boutonniere: I'll guess $20 (I googled it and that's the higher cost)
    Dinner: $50 I'm guessing this is adequate for a 2-person "nice" dinner in the midwest in the 80's with no liquor

I went to prom 3 times in h/s. My school was small and you could attend as an underclassman if you were asked by an upperclassman. My ticket was (sort of) free because my school had an activities pass and prom was one of the included events. The one year I took a date from another school it was *maybe* $25 for him so I guess tix for 2 would be $50. I either did my own hair, or my mom did it. I don't know a lot of girls who had their hair done professionally though a few went to salons and had fancy braids put in, it was the 80's after all Already had the accessories and makeup. Never rented a limo or knew anyone from my school who did. The first year I went my date's mom drove us in her pickup truck My dresses were new (off the rack), but a lot of the girls I knew either wore vintage or their moms made the dress.

So, that's about $250 for the year I paid. Less for the years I didn't.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast