Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think if you can find a way to be ok with going then go. But I think given what it sounds like if you cannot find a way to be ok with it that it is totally reasonable to not go. My dog died on my lap when I had to put him down (vet came to my house) and it was a really hard situation and he went very peacefully. I cannot imagine how hard it would be if it was like it sounds like for your horse. I think you have to do what is the best possible situation for everyone knowing that none of the options are close to good. So sorry. Hugs
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could you go but try to make sure you put something in place not to watch it? Meaning, could you trust yourself to squeeze your eyes shut and not open them. Could you wear glasses that are blacked out so you could not watch? I am just trying to think of some way that the horse sees that you are there and is comforted by you but you don't have to watch it. I was with our dog when she died (she died a few hours before she would have been put to sleep). It was not "peaceful" for her to die naturally either (tho she was smaller, so was already on the ground). I still know that having my DH with her (and maybe me too, but she REALLY loved him) was important. Prayers go out to you though. We had a neighbor's 6 month old lab puppy get run over in our neighborhood this weekend and my heart just broke (she is ok - we think- fractured pelvis and some other issues). Animals are God's blessing to us (IMO) and I wish they didn't die. Take comfort to know that the horse loved you dearly and would have been sad to see you die too.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am so sorry. I think this is a situation where you have to go with your gut; there is no wrong decision. My dog past away unexpectedly while I was not home, so didn't have to make that choice. I think I would have chosen to be with her. Obviously a horse euthanasia is much different from a dog.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been unable to read this thread until now because I had a feeling it would make me very sad. and I was right.

I'm so sorry, OP. If it were me, I think I would have to be there. I could not imagine my animal going into such a situation knowing that he would be terrified and "slightly manhandled," and knowing that I could help him calm down.

Hugs. So, so hard. I'm sorry.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No matter how hard it was for me, I would be there... for him. Huge hugs to you.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you all so much for all the kind and understanding replies. I really appreciate it and there have been so many helpful suggestions - I have taken away something from literally every post. I just don't know what I am going to do yet. Right now is this awful limbo period of knowing I need to euthanize him within the next few days, but also wanting to put it off as long as possible. It makes the days awful and I am just as sad with him alive as I will be when he is gone. So you would think I would just do this immediately as I couldn't feel worse and he certainly would be better off, but I still can't fathom him not being alive and haven't been able to schedule anything.

My life revolved around this horse as a teenager and most of my biggest memories and emotions are from our showing times - childbirth is really the only thing that matches the intensity of fear/elation/sense of accomplishment of some of my show memories. I feel so guilty about being distant the last two years with the pregnancies and babies. I knew he was old and wish I had taken more time to be with him. Now I all I want to do is be with him and he has no time left.

Anyway, thanks again for all the wonderful advice and comforting words.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

I HAVE to stay with my animals when they are put down. I have to feel their last breath. I carry them in-not applicable here...but it just kills me.

I can't even read any more of this thread bc I lost two German shepherds In the last four years and I will burst into tears if I do. I Just wanted to say how SORRY I am about your horse. I have a good friend who lost her horse a few years back and he was 30. It was like losing a child And she is still in a depression.

I know how you feel and what you are going through is awful. Time heals - but u never ever forge them.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    Thank you all so much for all the kind and understanding replies. I really appreciate it and there have been so many helpful suggestions - I have taken away something from literally every post. I just don't know what I am going to do yet. Right now is this awful limbo period of knowing I need to euthanize him within the next few days, but also wanting to put it off as long as possible. It makes the days awful and I am just as sad with him alive as I will be when he is gone. So you would think I would just do this immediately as I couldn't feel worse and he certainly would be better off, but I still can't fathom him not being alive and haven't been able to schedule anything.

My life revolved around this horse as a teenager and most of my biggest memories and emotions are from our showing times - childbirth is really the only thing that matches the intensity of fear/elation/sense of accomplishment of some of my show memories. I feel so guilty about being distant the last two years with the pregnancies and babies. I knew he was old and wish I had taken more time to be with him. Now I all I want to do is be with him and he has no time left.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

Really, there is no wrong answer. I know I said I'd try and go if I thought it'd be a comfort to the horse.... but honestly, thinking about how my manager described how to goes with horses.... I do not really know that I could. It just sounds like it would be wrenchingly hard, and well, not peaceful. I don't know that I'd want to have that imprinted on my mind. I might just spend time with him and then leave it to the experts that I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post

I dunno if anyone suggested this bc I didn't read but can u take hoof prints beforehand? Paint his hoofs and stamp them on a rigid canvas board? And save some of his mane. Ok now I'm crying...dang
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

I am a bit late to this but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I can't imagine how hard that would be. I just had to put my 13 year old cat to sleep this winter and it hard enough, even though her passing was amazingly fast and peaceful.

I think whatever you decide, it will be ok. Your horse knows you loved her because you spent the last 20+ years showing her.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast