Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am so sorry, it is very difficult to say goodbye to a pet and friend. How wonderful that you had so many years with him.

I'll keep you and your dear horse in my prayers.

As everyone else has said, you need to do what is right for you. I had to euthanize my closest cat buddy when my older dd was one. Like you, I had grown distant in our relationship in the few years leading up to that kitty's death and felt horrible guilt. She was the first animal that I euthanized as an adult, and I didn't do a great job of being there for her because I was so emotional. The vet talked me through it telling me to pet her NOW :-) I felt guilt over that for awhile until I was with another one of our kitties who died here at home. I realized that there wasn't any right way to die. I didn't have to be perfect in what I did while I was there. I really believe that just being there and knowing how much I loved them made their deaths easier.

If your horse's death will be too difficult for you, then you just can't be there. But if you can, don't worry about how you handle it. I think your presence even if it's just for when the vet arrives, will make a difference for your horse. Ultimately, he knows in his heart how much you love him. How lucky you both have been.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I stayed with our cat. I don't regret it at all. Yes it was hard and I will never forget those images, but it helped to know that I was there for her.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am so sorry.

No matter what you do, don't feel guilty for a minute. Horse euthanasia is so different from dog/cat euthanasia that it isn't even funny. Even if you're one who is okay with being with a small animal, you just might not be for a horse. Without getting too graphic, it is a large prey animal whose survival depends on staying on it's feet. They don't lie down on command, and most sedatives commonly used sedate them standing. The vet administers the injection, and then they step back as far as they can. It is a violent, abrupt trip to the ground. They can kill you if they fall on you or accidentally kick you on the way down. Plus there are the less-than-dignified realities of dealing with after-care that you just don't get with house pets. You can have horses cremated, but it costs close to $2000 in my area. It's also illegal to bury a horse around here, so you have to have it hauled off by a protein rendering outfit. They require that the horse be dropped within a certain distance of a gravel area. The horse trainer friend that I mentioned up thread once had to find a way to limp a horse that had had it's shoulder shattered by getting kicked by another horse in closer to the barn so that the body could be retrieved by the rendering company's equipment.

Flashy, is it a possibility for you to Ace him before the vet arrives? Then they could take him out, administer the injections, and then you could join them after he's made it safely to the ground? It takes several minutes after that, but the traumatic part is done. Each time, I've had several sweet, peaceful minutes patting heads and talking to my guys about their plans over Rainbow Bridge after they're on the ground. My lovely vet gets down on the ground and does the same for every horse.
    Catherine

Mom to:
    DD#1 3/07
    DD#2 10/08

and "Bonus Mom" to:
    DSD
    DSS#1
    DSS #2

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just want to say I'm so sorry. You love him very much and it sounds like you've been through great times and perhaps not so good times (as with any close relationship), and I'm sure your horse knows that you love him no matter what. I think in the end because you are so close to him, you will make the decision that is best for both of you.

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had no idea euthanizing a horse was so difficult. I am so very sorry you are forced with such a difficult decision. I also want to say I don't think there is a wrong way to handle it. You have to do what is right for you and your buddy. I know I will be facing this decision myself in the future with my 15 yr old chihuahua and it is tough enough without the added complications. I'm so sorry.

Default Staying with animal to be put down

Acepromazine might work well to alleviate anxiety, and you could administer it! I definitely would ask your vet about ace or some other tranquilizer prior to the barbiturate injection.

If you do want to stay with your horse, be aware that what you see when your horse goes down (and it's not pretty) is exactly what you would see if your horse was going to have necessary surgery. The dose of barbiturate would be smaller, of course, but your horse would look and behave exactly the same. It might help you to know that. The movement and breath sounds once your horse is down is different, but the losing of consciousness and the falling may appear less disturbing to you if you realize it is just how horses respond to anesthesia, just like for surgery.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5