Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Sorry but you won't get much for your naartjie and Hanna stuff, most won't know the brand, you might try Craigslist for them.... Most kids clothes here sell for 3.00 at most here, most items less than a dollar. Hang up clothing if you can somehow.
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    You might be surprised. I had a garage sale years ago, and I live in nowheres-ville. I got great money for my Hannas, and the buyer was thrilled! I basically laid the cheap stuff out by size with $1 / items signs on that stuff (or 12 for $10!), and hung the nice stuff with price stickers on each item. I was shocked that anyone in my neck of the woods recognized Hanna, but they sure did.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anyone have any price suggestions for the items I listed? I think I'll do $1/item for kid shirts/shorts and maybe a little higher for dresses. At least at the start.

Not sure about the other stuff though.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I never had a garage sale but love shopping them.

With clothing, try to box them by size and gender. Even if it's a $1, I hate rummaging through them if it's not the size I want.

With the play kitchen items, i would just put them in a box and mark them 50c each or 15 for $5 (something to that effect). You can put them in sets too but you might make more if people can pick and choose. I usually end up not wanting the buy "the set". And at the 50c mark, parents are more willing to allow their child to just pick whatever they want. Course offer a deal to buy the whole box

Same thing for the train. I have girls so I'm not sure what the going price is for them. I would do the same thing Like the kitchen stuff. Give option to sell individually (maybe $1?) but with incentives if they buy more.

I think it would be wise to only have 1 person receive the money and if that person can hover toward the street where people are leaving. That will make it harder for people to steals. And yes, fanny packs are great.

Oh, and another thing I hate is that people don't put prices on things. I hate having to ask the seller how much every little thing is. If it's busy, I won't wait around to ask. You don't have to label everything but a $3 table or something to that effect would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put up an ad on Craigslist advertising your sale, including some details of the items you'll have. You might be able to get more on the bigger items by listing them on CL, but it's a time suck.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I sold some baby things at my parents GS last summer. For kids clothing- I'd hang it, if possible and organize by size. Most of my items were between $1-3 each. If you have lots of onsies or similar to unload, I did .50 each, and had them in a big box. Mine were in great shape- and a new mom was happy to hit the jackpot!!
    If you have a tagging gun, you could tag the items, if that's easier.
    Agree with the craigslist idea.

For the Hanna items- I'd do minimum $2 or up on those- I love HA and know a lot of people who do- you could print the sizing info for both those brands and hang/post near the clothing, so people can see as a reference!

I'd do tables with pricing or organize toys/bundles and price those. GL!

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post

eta: we can't get anything for clothes in my area. I try to sell for $1 each (6 for $5) and that rarely sells. Be ready for hard bargaining and decide beforehand if you want to stick to your guns or let it go for a song to get it out of your house.
    Clothes can be tough. Take the items you want to get a solid amount for (Gymboree Outfits, Janie and Jack, etc) and put them on one of those hangers that lets you see the pants below the shirt and sweater. I usually tie a line to hang the nicer things up on so that they're visible and neat and then I have a table or several bins where I lay out the shirts, shorts/pants, socks, onesies that I'm willing to part with for $1 or less. Another strategy I've used is having a stack of walmart plastic bags and saying that they can purchase the bag for $5 (or whatever the price will be for you) and saying they can fill it with any of the clothing items in the bins/table (excluding the pricier outfits on the line). I usually pull that one out of my hat when I feel like things are slowing down and I don't want to pack it all away again. I've done pretty steady business doing that with clothes and books.

ETA: In organizing your sale, it's important to put the bigger ticket items or items that will encourage someone to stop (nice furniture pieces, high quality strollers, big baby gear) right out front!
    Last edited by OKKiddo; 04-23-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm tired just reading these posts! We have had two garage sales, both times when we were moving. They were a lot of work, but we did make money and would consider doing it again.

We grouped like items, put the bigger pieces near the road, put clear price tags on everything and stayed flexible. We kept the money on us at all times.

You have to have the mindset that you just want everything gone or else you'll have a hard time with buyers because many are notoriously CHEAP. We're talking haggling down from $1 CHEAP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2