hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default rave for audible.com

DS1 loves history and mythology etc. For our recent trip to UK I decided to try out audible.com as I had a get 2 free books offer. I downloaded a mythology book for him, he LOVED it. Listened to 4 hours non stop on flight over. Didn't play games or anything else just listened. For the flight back I paid $ for a series of college lectures on famous EPIC battles (history) and he has been listening a bunch. I had no idea if he'd like it but he LOVES it. Just in case you are ever considering it. OH and FWIW he is dyslexic, very bright, loves history and watches nat geo etc.

Here are the 2 he has so far
    http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Th...ook/B00IXXNABC
    http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/H...ook/B00I0ZZEIA
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Haven't tried audible (too cheap) but along the same lines, I was thrilled w how easy it was to download borrowed books from our library onto my iPhone. We had a long road trip and enjoyed Rick Riordan's 39 Clues' series. It was so easy and I loved that it was free. . Love good audiobooks too!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What a great idea!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How violent/upsetting was the mythology content for a sensitive six year old? My son loves documentaries and this sounds perfect for him. The problem we have run into though is the content can be adult. What was your impression of mythology for a younger child? Those greek myths are quite dramatic if my memory serves!

What a great resource though . . .
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I LOVE Audible.com. I had a membership way back in 2001-2003 time period when I was driving daily Bellevue-Everett for work. Had a mp3 type player made at the time specifically for Audible.com. The devices have changed. But on my iphone I can still download and access ALL those items I "purchased" way back then (mostly with the 2-a-month free credits I was getting every month). Even though I have not been a member in YEARS (almost a decade. And then I only had a short term membership to fill out a collection)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We love audiobooks, although I usually just take my weekly quota from the library. Thanks for the review, I've been considering trying something like audible.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    How violent/upsetting was the mythology content for a sensitive six year old? My son loves documentaries and this sounds perfect for him. The problem we have run into though is the content can be adult. What was your impression of mythology for a younger child? Those greek myths are quite dramatic if my memory serves!

What a great resource though . . .
    Hum I am not sure to be honest. DS1 listened to it solo. I will ask him, he is pretty accurate in reporting
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07