Default Got a new Mazda 5!

The old 2003 Honda Odyssey was just getting too creaky and gas guzzling and I wanted more airbags. HAD to have sliding doors, even with big kids it's an excellent feature, so this was pretty much the only choice. DH actually considered a Ford Transit Connect...uh, you know those vans that plumbers use? Uh... thanks? LOL! (we ended up at the Ford dealer anyway, playing with their park assist feature in a Fusion, I think that's HIS next car!).

The cutest part of the whole endeavor was the day Leah and I played with all our boosters in all the seats, and she busily tried to see if she 5-stepped anywhere (*almost* in the back, but she could tell the lapbelt was riding too high, I was so proud she said something!).

Our old Recaro Start (technically no expiry date, and kind of at the 10 years for implied expiration, but still in excellent shape and all aluminum framed, so I'm risking it) fits and looks great, and the Safeguard Go as a backless has the right amount of cush in it, so she has seats for her and our daycare kid, or her on short and long trips, all set up and figured out. She loves the Incognito, I think I need a black one to match my leather, but it's a little tricky to buckle in the third row.

This is my second navy blue Mazda... first was a 1990 B2200 pickup. It's nice to be back zoom zooming instead of loping along in the old Ody, though it's taken us all some mourning time to get used to a car we've had for 11 years!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm going to cross my fingers for you! I think they improved the main problem I have with mine- suspension. I think they finally stopped making it on the same frame as the tiny Mazda3, and that will be a huge improvement! It's a handy little car otherwise. Enjoy!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Congrats! I want a Mazda 5 too! SnuggleBuggles, I hadn't heard about the suspension problem. What year is yours? Good to keep in mind.

for Sandy Hook

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a 2009 Mazda5 and LOVE it! We're on our way to Palm Springs in it right now! Enjoy!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Congrats! I want a Mazda 5 too! SnuggleBuggles, I hadn't heard about the suspension problem. What year is yours? Good to keep in mind.
    2010. I really am not happy with it's quality. Last spring, on the first really warm day, they car started creaking when I would turn or go in reverse. Took them forever to fix it (I think they were trying to just do "enough" to get past the warranty period vs really fixing it). Something about the sway bar. I researched the problem, even posted on Car Talk, and it seemed to be a common issue. Well, wouldn;t you know it? The first 80 degree day it started doing it again! SO, the repair lasted just a year and now it's back...and out of warranty. I have a new guy taking care of the car now vs the dealership and I hope he can really get to the root of the issue.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

2009 here too and love it! No suspension issues here.

Oh ugh, sorry it's a problem. Hopefully they tweaked it by 2014. :/.

My Ody already sold, in under a week... I don't want to know what they paid for it, because holy moly I got screwed out of any trade in value. <deep breaths, be zen, remember all the horrible noise it makes and how bad the shocks were and it needed new paint, etc>
    Julie

Oh, and I got my windows tinted, a roof rack, and a backup camera added ($400, they put in a rearview mirror that is like a flat screen TV and a little camera next to the license plate...I seriously recommend this to anyone for any car that doesn't have it, I used to back all my other cars into virtually everything, and now I won't anymore --just find any car stereo/window tinting place to get it added, only took 2 hours)
    Julie