Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Flying to CA - stroller rec's for an infant?

We are planning a short vacation in CA and I need advice which stroller to take. baby will be 7 mo by then.
    We are flying, it's a non-stop flight so I could technically take any stroller in a protective bag. We are going to rent a car, but explore things on foot as well. Walking in the city, plus kids activities like san diego zoo, parks etc.

I have bob - which I love, and it's baby's favorite stroller. Would work well for zoo and parks, takes car seat, but DH thinks it's too big. And it might be too huge in the city, right?

We also have a cameleon, which I loved with the bassinet, and as "glorified car seat frame", but the 2 piece fold doesn't seem practical for traveling. (esp. since when used with car seat adapter the seat is an extra piece) It also is not as all terrain as I would like, especially after being spoiled by bob.

I could also get a different stroller, that would serve us on the trip and beyond (while also possibly selling cam when baby is 1 y.o. - or not...)

I thought about getting an older bee (I like the big canopy and there are deals to be had), but dh hates the fold. It is also not an AT stroller, but it pushes nice and handle doesn't move (like cameleons does - which bothers me), so it's a nice and tight stroller. Seat is tad narrow, and baby does not like it much. Could get newer bee - but same problems, and it's more expensive.

I could get valco snap 4 with air tires, it folds fast and small, has all the perks. But wouldn't it be too similar to bob, with bob being still superior (imho)? Also, I'm concerned that valco's canopy is smaller than bobs, and seat is not as deep.

Thoughts?

forgot to add - we are taking both car seat (chicco) and stroller. Any advice on how to manage that?

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What airline are you flying? American Airlines will not let you gate check a Bob, as they don't allow jogging strollers or strollers over 20 pounds.

Personally, I think the BOB is too big to fly with and navigate indoor spaces in the city, but people do it. You mention selling your cam, what were you planning to replace it with once you sell it?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Bob but don't have experience with a Cam. I would not take a Bob on that type of trip. It's just too big and heavy. I'd seriously consider something like a Snap or even City Mini.

I'm from Southern California, and I see tons of both regular and GT City Mini's here. (I have a BJCM GT that I use all the time.) One of those would be great. Your BOB would work fine once it was here, but I agree with other posters that it would be terrible to fly with. I've only seen one Snap here, because there isn't a local retailer. But, it'd be great, too.

I forgot to add that no matter what you choose, a good sunshade is paramount in Southern California if you're going to be spending time outside.

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

BJCM rules the roost here in SoCal, I think largely because of the shade. We love ours and find it great for travel since it folds so easily and can handle a reasonable range of situations (no hiking or beach). As for managing car seat and stroller, I would recline the stroller seat and flip the car seat handle back (Keyfit, right?) then use small bungee cords to secure the car seat in the stroller. Put your backpack/diaper bag/carry-on in the Keyfit to free yourself up and keep the seat nicely weighted in place, then wear the baby. I would *not* bring the Keyfit base, but practice installing baseless with a locked seatbelt before you go.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was going to suggest a BJCM GT, but I see PPs already have.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by meljc View Post
    BJCM rules the roost here in SoCal, I think largely because of the shade. We love ours and find it great for travel since it folds so easily and can handle a reasonable range of situations (no hiking or beach). As for managing car seat and stroller, I would recline the stroller seat and flip the car seat handle back (Keyfit, right?) then use small bungee cords to secure the car seat in the stroller. Put your backpack/diaper bag/carry-on in the Keyfit to free yourself up and keep the seat nicely weighted in place, then wear the baby. I would *not* bring the Keyfit base, but practice installing baseless with a locked seatbelt before you go.
    Thanks, great points, I forgot I can use the keyfit without base! (even though it is one of the reasons I got it ) So that's one less head ache.

We are flying united (dh ordered tickets, I'll double check)
    SO the common wisdom is not to take the bob. Thanks!

Will cameleon be good choice? I have the new glacier canopy, which gives great shade. A friend of a friend can sell me bugaboo travel bag for cheap. I was planning to keep the cam for another half a year or so, and replace it with a lighter travel stroller later on. At this point (6-7 mo) I want the baby to be comfortable and rear facing. I was considering valco snap with at wheels as the first choice, I just don't know if I should get it for this trip, or wait out and make the trip with cameleon.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I was going to suggest a BJCM GT, but I see PPs already have.
    You know, I love everything about bjcm (and esp gt) except that it folds inside out. I'm worried it gets dirty, plus if I have any kind of stroller liner or footmuff, it makes it harder to fold and dirt is a factor again...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast