Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the difference between City Mini Single and City Mini GT??

I am considering getting a City Mini, and was hoping to spend under $200. I am looking on amazon at the City Mini Single...does that not come with an adjustable handle bar? Do I need that? My husband is about 6' tall, and the stroller we currently have is a bit too low, and he kicks the back of the wheels, so that's why I'm in the market for a new stroller. Also, looking for one to take to Disney in the fall that's lightweight and has a good canopy. I've heard great things about the City Mini...but which one to get?? Also, (and I haven't told anyone this yet besides on here!) I am expecting our second child, and our big stroller we used before is basically broken, so I need another that I can snap in a car seat (I read the city mini has an adaptor--I'm assuming all the city mini's have that capability right?). Lastly, complicating things...I can't believe the city mini makes you purchase all the "extras" separately, like the cup holder, kiddie tray, etc...does the GT come with any of these, or are they separate on all models. I"m confused because there's so many different sellers on amazon and BRU for this brand, and different model years, and I'm not sure what the newer or more expensive versions have that I would definitely need/like to have. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, the City Mini Single:
    -- is less than $200
    -- the handlebar is not adjustable
    -- has plastic tires
    -- has a foot brake

And the City Mini GT:
    -- is more than $200 (I see it on Amazon for $230)
    -- the handlebar is adjustable
    -- has air tires
    -- has a handlebar brake

While it might be nicer for your husband if the handlebar could adjust, my husband is nearly 6' tall too and he doesn't seem to have a problem with his stride kicking our City Mini. Both models would be great for Disney. The fold is super easy and the canopy is huge. Yes, both City Minis have the "travel system" capability. Just make sure to get the right adapter for the car seat manufacturer you pick. Yes, you have to purchase all the accessories separately. It's not that uncommon on the nicer model strollers. If you can spring for it, I would get the GT model because of the nicer tires and handlebar brake, but if budget is more of a concern, I'm sure you'll be happy with the City Mini Single.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The GT has forever air tires, not true air tires. I'd probably go with the GT as it has better features.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like the city mini better as it's lighter. The handlebar is plenty high for a 6' person. Don't bother with a snack tray.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    The GT has forever air tires, not true air tires. I'd probably go with the GT as it has better features.
    Ah, I thought it was something like that. I should've just said "air-ish" tires, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I like the city mini better as it's lighter. The handlebar is plenty high for a 6' person. Don't bother with a snack tray.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    We skipped the snack tray too. We just got the belly bar instead.
    Jennifer

I'm pretty sure the seat on the GT is bigger, too. At least it was back when I bought mine in 2012. Baby Gizmo does a comparison between the two on YouTube where she explains all the differences.

Thank you all so much! So, is there any advantage to the air tires vs the plastic ones? Do the air ones work much better on rough terrain/cobblestone? I like that the City Mini is lighter for sure. Why wouldn't you go for the snack tray? I don't think my 3.5 year old has to have that, but I will want one for baby#2 at some point....does the stroller still fold up ok with it, or do you have to remove the snack tray first?? Oh, and would you invest in the City Mini rain canopy? I saw a lot of mommies with those when I was overseas recently and it was raining a lot..seems like a good idea! Do other canopies fit over this one? I know it's kinda expensive, I think $40 on amazon.

I guess it just depends on what kind of terrain you'll be encountering the most. We pretty much stick to paved sidewalks and store shopping. There's only been a handful of times that I've actually wished for the "air" tires. We skipped the snack tray because I've heard that the positioning on it is awkward; I think it's too tall for younger babies to use well? I can't remember now. Not having actually used it though, I can't give you proper feedback. I didn't want to have to buy both the snack tray and the belly bar, so I just went with the belly bar. We really like it. It's nice that it's adjustable. We can pivot it low to keep DD in or if she wants to read a book or we can pivot it level, so that it's at a comfortable resting position for her hands. The City Mini folds fine with it attached; I assume the snack tray would be OK too. I didn't get the rain canopy, but I also don't use my stroller in inclement weather, if I can avoid it. The sunshade does a pretty good job of keeping DD covered. Just her legs are exposed. The one time that I needed a "rain canopy" when we were at an amusement park, a $1 plastic poncho did the trick.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    I guess it just depends on what kind of terrain you'll be encountering the most. We pretty much stick to paved sidewalks and store shopping. There's only been a handful of times that I've actually wished for the "air" tires. We skipped the snack tray because I've heard that the positioning on it is awkward; I think it's too tall for younger babies to use well? I can't remember now. Not having actually used it though, I can't give you proper feedback. I didn't want to have to buy both the snack tray and the belly bar, so I just went with the belly bar. We really like it. It's nice that it's adjustable. We can pivot it low to keep DD in or if she wants to read a book or we can pivot it level, so that it's at a comfortable resting position for her hands. The City Mini folds fine with it attached; I assume the snack tray would be OK too. I didn't get the rain canopy, but I also don't use my stroller in inclement weather, if I can avoid it. The sunshade does a pretty good job of keeping DD covered. Just her legs are exposed. The one time that I needed a "rain canopy" when we were at an amusement park, a $1 plastic poncho did the trick.
    Ok, maybe I'll go for the belly bar then. I wasn't sure at first what the point of that really was, but maybe it makes the stroller feel more safe/comfortable for the child? Also, your point about using it to prop something up is great. Good idea on the poncho! I think I'll just invest in a few of those for our trip. I do LOVE the look of the sunshade on this stroller. Our chicco stroller and other umbrella stroller always had horrible sunshades.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBabe View Post
    Ok, maybe I'll go for the belly bar then. I wasn't sure at first what the point of that really was, but maybe it makes the stroller feel more safe/comfortable for the child? Also, your point about using it to prop something up is great. Good idea on the poncho! I think I'll just invest in a few of those for our trip. I do LOVE the look of the sunshade on this stroller. Our chicco stroller and other umbrella stroller always had horrible sunshades.
    The belly bar helped DD sit more upright in the stroller; she could pull herself up straight. Definitely a great accessory to have. FWIW, we also have the Sunshine Kids (now named Diono) stroller cup holder: http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Buggy-Bu...dp/B005PK1G76/. To corral snacks and her water bottle, we use these tether straps: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Sec...dp/B003Y3BH1G/. We use them with this snack catcher: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Snack...dp/B000GB0NZK/.
    Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast