Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Update in #148! -- WWYD? Newly dx with HPV

I've been off the BBB for a while now, but I used to always rely on the boards as a safe place for advice, so here I am again.

I've had years and years of normal paps and just this year got abnormal results. I saw my OB today and learned I have HPV-16. I'm awaiting biopsy results. Though I'm concerned with the test results, I'm more concerned with my OB's advice to have a serious talk with DH, because her big question is where did the HPV come from? I'm aware HPV can lie dormant for years, but in OB's experience, pregnancy brings it to the surface, so the fact that I had no related issues with 2 pregnancies leads her to believe this is brand new. And since this is brand new, she said there needs to be a talk to figure out who the HPV came from. DH and I have been together over 20 years with no other partners. So even if I suppose that this has lay dormant for years throughout both pregnancies, there still would be the question of where it came from.

I've got a ton of thoughts going through my head and am still trying to process all the info from my appt today. So can anyone share thoughts on this? Would you all be re-evaluating your DH's like my OB recommends? Because I'm just not there.

UPDATE! See post #148
    Last edited by tny915; 09-20-2014 at 05:25 AM.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unless you and your partner have never been with another person your whole life, an abnormal pap and HPV diagnosis is not an indicator someone cheated as HPV can remain dormant for years or even a life time. My wife has HPV, but will have normal paps for years and then, every now and then, a pap comes back abnormal, and then goes back to normal. I have educated myself on this topic because of this and having a dd. It is possible to have contracted it 25 years ago and for it just now to be testing positive. My wife's pregnancy did not result in an abnormal pap, but she had one a year ago, the last two were back to normal.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    Unless you and your partner have never been with another person your whole life, an abnormal pap and HPV diagnosis is not an indicator someone cheated as HPV can remain dormant for years or even a life time. My wife has HPV, but will have normal paps for years and then, every now and then, a pap comes back abnormal, and then goes back to normal. I have educated myself on this topic because of this and having a dd. It is possible to have contracted it 25 years ago and for it just now to be testing positive. My wife's pregnancy did not result in an abnormal pap, but she had one a year ago, the last two were back to normal.
    Yes to all of this!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    Unless you and your partner have never been with another person your whole life
    But this is true...so then what?

And also thank you for the quick responses.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tny915 View Post
    But this is true...so then what?

And also thank you for the quick responses.
    You need to talk to your husband. I'm sorry.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you really trust your DH, maybe it was a lab error. My mother went through a very scary period a couple years ago when the lab messed up and indicated she had a blood cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If I am reading it correctly, it sounds like neither you nor your partner has had any other partners but each other. If that is the case, then I agree with your OB and a serious talk with your DH is in order. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease (as you know) so I'd have a lot of questions. Also, while HPV can lay dormant for years, my understanding is that there is almost always an initial active phase. Then it can go dormant for years, reappear, etc. I'd also ask your OB if your strain has a high link to cervical and other cancers for your own knowledge re treatment.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    You need to talk to your husband. I'm sorry.
    Before that, I would do some sleuthing...check phone records for texts/phone numbers called, check email and facebook messages. I'm sorry you're in a position where you need to do this. I would check before saying anything, as *if* there is something there, you'll find it before it gets deleted. You know you haven't slept with anyone else, so the exposure has not come from you.

I would listen to your OB about this, they know the chances it's been dormant for 20 yrs or more recent exposure - they deal with this everyday. My experience matches what your OB said, I got an abnormal pap pretty soon after being exposed to HPV. It went away, then came back when I was pregnant with DS. Then went away again and I've had normal paps ever since. It's dormant, so can come back, but the initial dx was soon after exposure.
    Last edited by niccig; 06-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.

If there has not been a lab error, the HPV had to come from an infected partner. It can be transmitted orally, so it is possible for a "virgin" to get it and pass it. I've also been with DH for nearly 20 years, and based on the histories we have shared with each other, if one of us turned up with HPV, there would be some untruthfulness at some point. A good friend and a cousin both discovered their DH's infidelity from their OB check ups. I hope there's an alternate explanation for you.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would go see your OB again, ask if they can double check or rerun the lab results, but if there is no error I'm sorry to say you need to have a discussion with your husband.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast