bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Need a new car seat, maybe two. Help me puzzle this out!

I'm really only thinking about my two little riders, DS3 who is nearly 3, average height and SKINNY, and DD who is another average height skinny baby but she's only 8mo. Right now, 3 of my four kids are extremely easy to seat in any car. DS1 is tall and pretty much always fulfills the 5 point test so he's in a regular belt, DS2 is in a booster (and we have a few LBB for his use) and DD is in an infant seat so we can install her easy enough in any car. DS3, however is in a RN. I like the seat, like a TON but I do hate that it is really, really difficult to install and uninstall. It is a beast.

So I'm thinking of turning DS3 FF and eventually I'll need a new seat for DD. And (this is not TOTALLY essentially but it would be nice) I'd like all four kids to be "portable" in their seats, meaning they could hop in with Grandpa or Daddy without too much trouble. Does that make sense? Part of me wants to just stick with the RN which would work (well!) for either DS3 OR DD but it just is NOT easy to move. Part of me wants two new seats so they could be easy to install, uninstall and move. Would you keep the RN? If so, would you put FF DS3 in the RN? Or DD RF? What seat would you buy? Would you buy 2? Obviously if the seats are inexpensive, it would be better! WWYD?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What does RN stand for? Radian? Roundabout?

Radian. Sorry! Its a Radian 100 and DS3 isn't even close to being too tall. FWIW, DS1 needed to have a combo seat because he truly outgrew his MA before he was ready for a booster. DS2 is a little guy and could fit in the RN NOW so he didn't need a combo seat.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I need a convertible seat. Or a combo seat. Or both. The RN is so tall that it might mean we don't need a combo seat. On the other hand, I have TWO kids who might be able to use a combo seat so it might not be a waste. But two kids could also use a convertible...

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not a car seat expert like Jools and others but I think I'd first decide if you're done with the radian entirely or if it would be OK for your car for one of the kids and maybe use something else for musical seats in grandma's car.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So you want a new seat for both your car and moving around? Not just a cheaper lightweight for other peoples cars?

I think I've decided that I will keep the RN. I will buy EITHER a combo seat and use the RN rearfacing. OR I will buy a convertible and the RN FF. AND I will buy a seat that can fit either DS3 or DD. Does that make sense?

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sort of lost in the multiple children land, and I've never had a Radian and you don't say how old it is. If I were you I'd get a convertible that would last your DD a long time and maybe get your youngest son a FF only seat that can be handed down to DD. DS currently has 4 combo seats(EXDH, mine, grandma and SO's) and I have to say I like the Maestro the best and isn't to bad in price. I'm a big fan of Britax for convertible seats as far as ease of install and length of use. Having a spare is also handy too. My only concern is when does your Radian expire?
    DS 6/09