Weird question, I know. I am moving into a new house and there was no mailbox, only a post. The previous owners had a p.o. box. So, I hired someone to install a mailbox on the post for me (should be an easy job, but I didnt know how so I hired someone). I went to the store and bought a nice locking mailbox. Well, the house right across the street was recently purchased as well and the woman comes to talk to me. She says she thinks she is supposed to share my post, as the post office told her they want all the mailboxes on the same side. I look across to her side of the street and sure enough I see no mailboxes. We are both perplexed by this and we are both in a hurry doing other things so part ways. (I was at the new house only for a few things, we have not moved in yet). As I drive down the street I see that in between the next 2 houses on my side, there are in fact 4 mailboxes and at least one I can identify as belonging to the house across the street from it. There is one difference in that these 2 houses have a small space between them and the mailboxes are in that space so it is not on anyone's property. .So now I think that the post office has said all the mailboxes have to be on my side of the street and therefore hers should be on my post or on a separate post next to mine. I realize I think the original post probably could have fit 2 mailboxes the way it was designed, although the person working for me had changed it a little already. Its weird b/c we had gone for a walk and right around the corner there is a mailbox in front of every house on both sides of the street.

It seems petty, but it also seems weird to me that I would have to have someone else's mailbox on my property (now perhaps my property ends right before the mailboxes not sure_. I feel bad and dont want to be a jerk to this woman...but are there any thoughts on this other than just letter her do it? Do I have my mailbox installer person (who realized he did not have some parts) come back and make it so we can install both mailboxes, let the other woman install a separate post (which she said she would do)? Thanks!