View Poll Results: high back booster usage for travel with a 4 yr. old

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, we have used a high back booster, and would do it again

5 45.45%
  • yes, we have used a high back booster with a 4 yr. old and won't do it again

0 0%
  • no, we have not used a high back booster and wouldn't even dream of it for a 4 yr. old

5 45.45%
  • use a high back booster

1 9.09%
  • rent a car and use the Safegaurd Go

1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD? Highback booster for travel with a 4 yr. old? BTDT?

If you have done it, was it worth it or just a royal PITA (ie: kid didn't behave well)?

Thinking of taking a Graco high back booster for DD2 who is 4, 41 or 42" tall, and 38lbs. DDs, and myself are going to Sacramento for a bridal shower for my future SIL and my mom of course wants to pick us up at the airport (15 mins. from my hometown on a two lane each way highway that doesn't get super busy) even though I can find a rental car for $30 total through Costco for the weekend we are planning on being there. Honestly once we are at her house I am not sure other than probably church, a quick run to the market or Target (Target is the furthest at 2.5 miles away, and no highway use) how much we'd really use the car and we will be there for not quite 48 hrs. so I sort of see the point of not wasting $30 on a rental car. My brother's bachelor party is that weekend as well so I figure my brother might need my mom's Highlander for transportation as well so I want easy to remove seats. My dad has a car as well, but he works most weekends so I am not sure if he'll be there (sometimes he works out of town), but the three of us could use it as well, but not sure if it has top tethers, although I think it does.

So WWYD?
    bring Safegaurd Go for use in mom's car
    bring highback booster
    rent a car and bring Safegaurd Go (hybrid foldable harnessed seat, same as Safety First Go)
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've done it. DS was 7, we were in Maui and knew would have a long drive on the Road to Hanna. I have a car seat travel bag, fits the high back booster and the boogie board. It wasn't a PITA - just like any other booster. It's an extra bag to get to the airport, but checking it was free.

DS is 9 and I just took the back off the high back booster for daily use, but DS insists I put it back on for longer drives as it's more comfortable. The last few trips I have just taken the bottom seat.
    Last edited by niccig; 07-08-2014 at 02:51 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I bought a Maestro to travel with DD at 4. It's a 5 point harness but converts to shoulder belt HBB.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

safe guard Go and I'd have her pick me up if you don't think you need a car but that is more a personal choice.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Safeguard Go. We carry it on and put in the overhead compartment or gate check. Way easier than transporting a high back booster for us, though we now just travel with a low back booster (Bubblebum for occasional rides or the $14 Walmart one for more frequent rides)... DS is now 8 (and DD is a small almost 11 but prefers to bring a booster as she is less likely to get carsick with one).

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 4.5 and uses a cosco no booster from walmart for these types of trips. Shes good about following rules so I have had no problems with her sitting incorrectly or playing with the belt

Default WWYD? Highback booster for travel with a 4 yr. old? BTDT?

My DS (turns 5 this month) rode in a HBB last week for our trip to CA. Normally he's in a frontier 90, but I wasn't going to lug that to CA while traveling alone with 3 kids. The Graco turbo booster fit him very well and he sat very nicely 95% of the time.

ETA: his stats are almost identical to your DD's
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the input so far. We have always used the Safegaurd Go for traveling and it has been great and easy to travel with we've either checked it with the luggage or put it in the overhead bin. Most likely for this time I would check it with the luggage because it would be one last thing to carry through the airport, especially at 10 pm at night when our flight gets in as DD2 will most likely want to be carried. DD2 has only been in a high back booster in a family member's car and that was basically for less than 5 miles for a quick trip (because we couldn't locate a top tether to use the Go) and has had zero issues or requests after those trips to want to use the TB full time.

If we took the high back it would be getting checked outside or at the ticket counter, same with probably the LBB (Harmony Cruz) we will be taking for DD1.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)