Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ah, the ILs.

Oh, I would definitely be bringing my liquor supply with me!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    In a DRY COUNTY.

Shoot me now.
    Oh no, double punishment! You win... or lose as the case may be.

I'd be investing in a lot of nips for that trip.

Thanks for the commiseration. I found out SIL is thinking of coming here. She has a complete itinerary all set if they come. She's an event organizer, she can't help herself, but boy is it annoying. Personally I don't think a bike tour of the city is appropriate in November, I'd rather not freeze to death! But whatever, she frequently has lots of "great" travel ideas that never come to fruition.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Oh, I would definitely be bringing my liquor supply with me!!!!!
    We totally do, but the problem is that lots of DH's family and family friends (who are in and out of the ILs house all day long; I always ask if these people do not have their own homes) are either Church of Christ or non-drinking Baptists and they look askance at, say, morning Bloody Marys at 10 a.m. (even if it is a holiday weekend or, say, Sunday brunch). Or even wine at 5:00 p.m. (which is Happy Hour to me). And they have no problems sharing their views.

Of course, these are the same people that do all kinds of things that I am pretty sure are either "sinful" in their churches or just plain bad decisionmaking, but as an "outsider" (even though DH and I have been together 20 years next year) I do not get to speak on those subjects unless I want to stir up a schmidtstorm for the ILS (which then leads to passive aggression by MIL). How fun is THAT??

The worst part of the dry county is that we cannot even go out to have fun with DH's friends. Unless, of course, you consider the Moose Lodge a happening spot. Which I do not. I promise you that an evening at my ILs is NOT a rocking good time.

For this trip, I am seriously considering bringing the makings for that coquito that was on the board during the holidays last year and claiming that it is a protein smoothie in the mornings. I have to say, the coquito worked REALLY well last Thanksgiving to mute the ILs to a dull roar.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    I found out SIL is thinking of coming here. She has a complete itinerary all set if they come. She's an event organizer, she can't help herself, but boy is it annoying. Personally I don't think a bike tour of the city is appropriate in November, I'd rather not freeze to death! But whatever, she frequently has lots of "great" travel ideas that never come to fruition.
    This sounds perfect to me. She can stick to her itinerary and you will "have" to stay home preparing in advance for the holiday. You know, so that the meal can be splendid!!!

I might even go so far as to buy them some non-refundable activity tickets just to keep them out of the house. But that's just me.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

oh, then I would be pouring gin into my can of Diet Sprite!!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Time for a trip to the liquor store!
    No, the locksmith!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That sounds very difficult! I would also be pouring vodka or gin into my Sprite and consider that self-medicating in that way would be a favor to my Dh and the ILs because it would help me focus on "pass the bean dip" instead of all the other things I want to say to them.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

LOL, OK, will admit I thought by dry country you meant it was low humidity and couldn't figure out why that was so awful. Took me a couple of posts to catch on Try to keep some room for clothes in your luggage around all those little bottles of wine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2