Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Speed Queen owners: any regrets buying this brand?

For those of you who have a Speed Queen, do any of you regret your purchase, wish you had gotten a different washer or dryer? I know AnnieW625 and Zag95 bought the brand this year and are happy with their purchases; anyone else with Speed Queen?

Thanks to all of the advice and info here (current and older threads), I'm considering getting a Speed Queen washing machine as they seem to fit our needs the best. I need to move quickly though as our current machine broke this weekend and laundry is backing up!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

While I don't own a speed queen-- when I was shopping for a washer last year, the guy in the appliance store told me this:

"See this machine (pointing to the SQ)? You will have 3 service calls on it in 25 years. The rest of the machines here (gesturing to all the other washers), you'll have 3 service calls on them in 12 years." He said they are well-made in Wisconsin, by union-member workers.

Enjoy it! I don't think you can go wrong with one!
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by knaidel View Post
    While I don't own a speed queen-- when I was shopping for a washer last year, the guy in the appliance store told me this:

"See this machine (pointing to the SQ)? You will have 3 service calls on it in 25 years. The rest of the machines here (gesturing to all the other washers), you'll have 3 service calls on them in 12 years." He said they are well-made in Wisconsin, by union-member workers.

Enjoy it! I don't think you can go wrong with one!
    Be still, my beating heart! wouldn't that be awesome, to get 25 years out of a washer? When we bought our current house 14 years ago, it came with an ancient washer and dryer that were a good 30 years old each, and they lived another year before they went kaput. The washer that just died lasted for 13 years. DH has been fuming that current machines all probably last 5 years or less. This gives us hope . . .
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've heard great things about speed queens. A friend bought one 2 years ago and loves it (family of 7). We are still on our newlywed washer/dryer set from 13 years ago (basic kenmore) but eventually when they go kaput speed queen is on my list!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

2 years into ownership- DH runs them and has no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We seriously considered buying one. The appliance sales person basically said it was a great, dependable machine and that he sells lots of them to old ladies LOL. The negative he brought up was water use which around here is also a problem of septic capacity if you are running a bunch of loads back to back. He said expect to get 20+ years out of the speed queen or 7-10 out of anything else.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Like I have said before we are happy with our washer. which we bought earlier this year (January, I think). It is louder than our old front loader, but I don't let that bother me and can't really do anything about it because our laundry room is only in our house and that's the only space for it (right off the kitchen) so I just close the door. We have the middle model, which the appliance guy we bought it from said is the model he sells the most of; it was less than a $100 between the lower end no extra rinse model (plus a few less cycles) and the higher end one was $100 to $150 more, but he says he can't recall ever ordering it for someone. It is a simple machine that keeps our clothes clean and I haven't noticed any more wear to our clothes because of the agitator. Our water bill has gone up a bit, but that wasn't a huge thing for me; I want appliances that will last not the ones with the fanciest options and could potentially require a fancy service contract. The appliance guy said we would get at least 15 yrs. out of the machine, but others have said that 20 is probably more like it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, ours may be louder than others, but ours is in the powder room, in the middle of our house vs our old set which was in an addition with an exterior door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, everyone! Our washer and dryer are located in the unfinished basement, so noise is not an issue. We're replacing a standard top loader and don't live where water conservation is a huge issue, so we expect the water usage to stay about the same with a Speed Queen and don't feel the energy efficiency aspect is a top priority for the washer like it is for other appliances. I spoke to a couple of local retailers and then visited one yesterday to see the basic model in person. Ended up ordering the 542 (top of the line) which was $50 more than the 432. I decided I needed the extra options for choosing agitator and spin combinations, which I'm so used to on my current (dead!) washer and use a lot already. It will be delivered and installed on Thursday. Can't wait! (Only because I am SERIOUSLY backed up on laundry.)

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    For those of you who have a Speed Queen, do any of you regret your purchase, wish you had gotten a different washer or dryer? I know AnnieW625 and Zag95 bought the brand this year and are happy with their purchases; anyone else with Speed Queen?

Thanks to all of the advice and info here (current and older threads), I'm considering getting a Speed Queen washing machine as they seem to fit our needs the best. I need to move quickly though as our current machine broke this weekend and laundry is backing up!
    My brother-in-law is the plant manager for Speedqueen in Wisconsin, so our family all has these machines. They are not fancy, but they are terrific. Highly recommend!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast