KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Snugride 30 - Jools?

I planned to get a Keyfit 30 for DD1 but a dear, trusted friend just offered me her very girlie, purple Snugride 30 in Minnie. She is meticulous with her baby things and trust her. She did say the harness is in need of cleaning though. Obviously I don't want to risk DD1's safety in any way, but if this is a great seat I wouldn't mind saving some $$ on an infant seat. Oh, I asked her and she said the seat was manufactured in December 2011 so it still has plenty of life left. Is this seat affected by the buckle recall? Are extra bases still available to purchase? How would I go about safely cleaning the straps?

So, would you take her up on her offer, or stick with my original plan for the KF30? The seat will most often be in my Odyssey, and occasionally in DH's Accord. Thanks!!!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd take her up on it, request the replacement buckle from Graco if she hasn't already, and enjoy the seat .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Thanks! I did take her up on the seat. It's in great shape. I removed and washed the cover and have removed the straps, but I'm still unsure how to clean them. Sponging them is not going to do the trick with these straps. Should I just order a replacement harness? If I do that I'd still like to clean this harness somewhat to keep as a spare, just in case. I know that technically they're not supposed to be submerged or soaked, but I don't see any other way, and I don't see how a little water and dish soap or baby shampoo could really truly hurt them more than the crud that's on them now.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    Thanks! I did take her up on the seat. It's in great shape. I removed and washed the cover and have removed the straps, but I'm still unsure how to clean them. Sponging them is not going to do the trick with these straps. Should I just order a replacement harness? If I do that I'd still like to clean this harness somewhat to keep as a spare, just in case. I know that technically they're not supposed to be submerged or soaked, but I don't see any other way, and I don't see how a little water and dish soap or baby shampoo could really truly hurt them more than the crud that's on them now.
    I asked about this on the car seat.org forum because my straps had apple juice spilled all over them and I was worried that was too much liquid. Everyone said it was fine and it was a major spill. I think a little water would be fine and then immediately dry in the sun.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Glad you scored that seat, it's a nice one! Yeah, I'm guilty of pretty thorough cleaning of my own straps. Hand washing with gentle soap and air drying flat is fine, IMO. Since polyester clothing can handle thousands of machine washes, the worry is more on the part of the carseat manufacturers who don't want you to soak them in bleach, starch them, iron them, destroy the anti-flammability and integrity, and then sue them in a crash (in a rearfacing seat, the straps really don't take any force, even...)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Glad you scored that seat, it's a nice one! Yeah, I'm guilty of pretty thorough cleaning of my own straps. Hand washing with gentle soap and air drying flat is fine, IMO. Since polyester clothing can handle thousands of machine washes, the worry is more on the part of the carseat manufacturers who don't want you to soak them in bleach, starch them, iron them, destroy the anti-flammability and integrity, and then sue them in a crash (in a rearfacing seat, the straps really don't take any force, even...)
    Thanks! I'm relieved to hear this, since I did take them out, soak in the sink in warm water with a little Dawn, rinsed really well, and dried flat. They look and feel totally fine. I just got my replacement buckle yesterday, so I'm ready now!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14