Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default If you didn't have to work ....

I like my job and enjoy working, I am good at it I get paid well, but I have to travel 30% of the time. DH continues to do well and it seems that we are near a point where I would't have to work. the kids seem to need more help -- DS2 with his special needs and DS1 with homework. Is it crazy to consider moving maybe to part time with kids who are 6 & 9? Is that nuts?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I've been a SAHM for years and looking to go part time. A good work/ life balance is my hope.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm also a SAHM. Kids are 10, 8, 6. I find I am more busy now than when they were younger. So much of our evenings are spent at activities and homework, that I use the day time to do errands, clean, etc. Part time would probably work okay.
    Kris

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If I had the option to go part-time/no travel I'd take it in a heartbeat!!!! But it would TRULY have to be part-time. None of this "we'll pay you part time but you're gonna end up working more than 30 hours/week because of crazy clients".

I've also been really scared by the number of experienced moms who say that it actually gets BUSIER as kids get older.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Males perfect sense to me. If we could swing it financially, I think I would do part time.
    DD
    DS

Well Ive been a SAHM but I am now moving to do parttime work (25 hrs/week or 5 hrs/day). 3 days will be during their school hours, 2 will be in the eve -- while I could easily have gotten afternoon/evening work because of what I do, I was only willing to do 2 because I want/need to be there for my kids when they come home most days.

I don't think it's crazy if you want to do it and financially can!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I had to get off the career track and now work part time with occasional bouts of SAH. I LOVE it! My new goal is stable P/T WOH and we're just treading water financially. In our case, it is also driven by the fact that the kids have turned out to need more than we expected and in ways that can't be done by other people. And, the kicker for me, was that things aren't going to change any time soon. I have so much less stress in my life that working PT is paying off in HUGE dividends. I enjoy working and hope to return to FT when the kids are older.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Part time would be a dream. FTR, I"m a SAHM but was able to do some very PT sporadic work for several years. DH was working all the time those days (day and night many times) so life was too stressful for me to do more. If I went back, PT would be my first choice, though it's hard to find!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I started working PT last year (after being a SAHM) and it's been great for me and our family. I drop off the kids to school in the morning, go to the office and pick them up after school. At ages 8 & 9, being home after school with them is a must, for us. Between homework and their activities, it's a lot easier for me to be home than to cobble together rides/aftercare to enable their activities. I only work 20-25 hours a week, and do want to go full time someday, but it seems so daunting right now. I am lucky that I have the option of working just PT with this job. When I cut back my FT job to PT after DS was born, it was in name only. I took a pay cut and lost some benefits but worked WAY more than part time.
    Last edited by baymom; 07-21-2014 at 07:15 PM.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Unless you are cutting back your FT job to PT, it's nearly impossible to find a PT job, IMO. I searched for months and found nothing. I work at a major tech company and got my foot in the door for an interview only because a friend who already worked there knew they were looking for a PT position. It was never advertised outside. Reach out to all your contacts--you never know what it might lead to!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast