Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love working part time! And yes, I do see as my kids get older they need ME-- my 20 month old doesn't care if there is a sitter, as long as he is being snuggled, fed, given attention, etc.... But my older kids-- they need me (or their dad). Aside from logistics of activities (which we don't do too much of anyway), they just need a lot of emotional attention.

Also, since I am in a a low paying "pink collar" field (librarianship), most full time positions arent necessarily worthwhile for me, after factoring in any extra child care costs. That makes the descion easier!

For about 2 years, (ended last summer)I did have a full/time position on a govt contract. The only reason I was able to make it work was because it was a telecommuting contract! And even without the commute, it was pretty stressful.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am part time. I found full time relatively easy when my dd was 0-3 or 4. I went part time as I really felt (and my mom friends of older kids advised me) that she would need me (and not a sitter) more as she grew older. I think I will stop work completely when she is in middle and high school. Most of my in real life friends worked less as the kids grew older and activities and sports required more if a family/parent commitment.

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids are 8 and 10 and the idea of reducing my hours is very appealing though I don't think it would fly with my boss. Being home a couple of hours earlier every day would mean that our family's evenings would be less harried and the kids could do some different activities than they do now.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I'm also a SAHM. Kids are 10, 8, 6. I find I am more busy now than when they were younger. So much of our evenings are spent at activities and homework, that I use the day time to do errands, clean, etc. Part time would probably work okay.
    Yes to this exactly. My kids are 5 and almost 11 and our days after school gets out at 2:40pm are GO, GO, GO till bedtime! We don't have a single afternoon free and with 2 totally different kids' schedules and DH working till 10pm or later every night if I do end up working again it would have to be between the hours of 9am and 2pm only. But even that might be difficult as all my kid-free time before school gets out is when I do all my errands, appointments for myself, school volunteering, house stuff, etc. My kids' school requires 50 hours of volunteering (75 this year as I'll have 2 kids at the school) a year, and even as a SAHM I've never gotten over 25 hours! I'd love to work as a postpartum doula again as that is definitely something I can do part time and on my own hours.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not crazy at all. If you have the option of truly going PT and reducing your travel, I would do it!
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    Not crazy at all. If you have the option of truly going PT and reducing your travel, I would do it!
    Me too. Sounds great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I loved working part time. It was absolutely ideal. Now I am a SAHM because I prefer that to working FT, but I definitely felt a better life balance when I was working PT. I say go for it, or at least make inquiries.
    Last edited by wellyes; 07-21-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It makes lots of sense to me. Homework, transportation, logistics, support, supervision, etc. are all easier. PT or single salary if you can make it work sounds great.
    K

Another SAHM here who would love to work P/T! Wish my career were something like nursing or something that could lend itself to a P/T schedule, but it really doesn't. If I knew in college what I know now, I might have changed majors, and will definitely advise DD when she gets older to try to find a career where she can eventually work P/T if she has a family and if their family finances allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I like my job and enjoy working, I am good at it I get paid well, but I have to travel 30% of the time. DH continues to do well and it seems that we are near a point where I would't have to work. the kids seem to need more help -- DS2 with his special needs and DS1 with homework. Is it crazy to consider moving maybe to part time with kids who are 6 & 9? Is that nuts?
    Mine are 8 and 5, and I just today signed paperwork to go part time!!!! I am thrilled. It seems like having two school-age kids is far more demanding on my schedule than having babies/preschoolers. Lessons, homework, social issues, sports practice, school holidays, etc…. Plus, now that they're in public school and we're no longer paying private preschool tuition, that lessens the pain of my pay hit.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast