Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Congrats!

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

how fantastic!! congrats, Melinda!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Congrats!
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

Way to go!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OMG, congratulations!! I remember you posting something few weeks back about buying a secondhand bike..and now you've done a tri....wow, you rock!!!!

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congratulations!!! Is it the BEST FEELNG TO COMPLETE!!! I have done several IronGirl's...nothing compares to being surrounded (& supported!!) by women throughout the race! Have fun as you venture down the Tri path...you will love it!!!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Be careful--they are VERY addicting!!! I have one more race in my third full season this August. Next year, I want to move up to the Olympic distance. And don't worry about pissing matches--tris are so not that. At my last tri, 2 weeks ago, there was a guy in the transition zone next to me who confessed that this was his first tri--he had done Century bike rides and was fine running but he had never swam/swum in a wetsuit etc. So several of us gave him lots of tips and a pep talk. He hated the swim but had fun with the rest of it! I actually get sick of people passing me on the run saying "Good job". Seriously?? You just passed me!! How am I doing a good job

You just need to work out 4-5 times a week. Right now, I bike on Thursday, run & lift on Friday, swim Saturday, run Sunday, then do a brick (swim/bike) on Monday. Ideally, I run one hour/6 miles, bike 20-25 miles, swim for an hour--2000+ yards. Now, I worked up to that!! In the winter, I do one hour spin classes, run is the same, and swim the same. But I lift weights 2x a week. Basically, if you can run or bike for an hour, you can do a sprint triathlon!! Stick with the pool ones to start and then you will want to graduate to open water.

There are lots of good resources--www.trinewbies.com. If you want any info, please feel free to PM me. There are some other moms on this board who have done half-Iron Mans--so wayyy more expertise than me!! DH and I just did a brick yesterday where I swam in a reservoir and he kayaked next to me. Then we got out of the water and did the bike course for my next tri. It was in a gorgeous area. We had so much fun.

Yay for you!!!!!
    Thanks Stantonhyde for the workout suggestion. It's hard to gauge what is needed and while I think I could work out 4-5 times a week I have no idea what that would entail. BTw, this tri was an open water swim, so no pool! That would've been fine except I am not a swimmer and didnt' have time or brain cells to devote to getting around that. Also my knee was out of commission for an indefinite period, so no running. But I am gearing up for a 5k run next month so we'll see how that goes! We have a pool but once it closes I have to join a Y or something. Part of my rehab for my knee as well as staving off other future injuries is weight training, so that's another reason I need to join a Y.

I was half kidding about the pissing contest, although I was wondering if tris were an extension of the Mommy Wars (they're not! it's a amazing!). My PT, a man, LOVES to do tris and told me how fun and supportive the competitors are. I did hear that coed tris can be a little scrappier though, lol.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2