View Poll Results: Do you practice the same religion as your parents?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 44.29%
  • No

32 45.71%
  • Other - please explain

7 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Nope we are heathens and in laws are right wing political gay bashing Christians. MIL writes letters to Mormon and Catholics, through her church, to stop staying they are Christian too. Fun.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Nope. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday, etc. But it always felt more like a class to me and/or just routine recitation every weekend instead of any actual thought and/or connection to what the lessons were. We now attend Lutheran church and both boys were baptized Lutheran. We were also married in a Lutheran church, which is when this came to a head with my parents. In the end, they were just glad it was Christian. I like the children's church aspect of the places we've attended and wanted the boys surrounded by pastors that were and/or could be married so they could guide from experience in areas of family and marriage.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I was raised without any religious instruction. We only had it at school once a month (in Australia and when I was in school, local church could come into the school for a short period of time for religious instruction), and my mother would opt out for us - a lot of kids didn't go, so that wasn't unusual. DH was raised Catholic and stopped attending by college age. He's more anti-organized religion than I am. He's also more concerned about DS's religious upbringing, he does want to expose DS to different religious instruction. I wasn't and turned out fine. DH's parents were Catholic, but now attend a nondenominational church. There were some comments from MIL about needing religion to have values and morals, but when I commented that I was raised without religion and was she questioning my morals and values, she quickly backtracked. I have not committed the sins that I know she, FIL and other close family members have committed. She knows I know, so no comments anymore about moral and values only being taught through religious instruction.
    Last edited by niccig; 07-23-2014 at 01:59 AM.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I grew up in the United Methodist Church & we attend a UMC now. DH grew up Southern Baptist, so it's caused some consternation on his parents side that we don't go to a Baptist church, but they just have to deal with it. (DH's great-grandparents were founding members of the church we go to, but it's still treated like a huge issue.)

My dad grew up Pentecostal Holiness and switched to Methodist, so in my family, switching denominations isn't unheard of. Oh, and both of my brothers go to Baptist churches now. Although, I wonder about one of them since his new girlfriend is Methodist.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Voted "other". My adoptive mom was a "basic, run of the mill" non-denominational Christian. DH and I are the same, but attend a Baptist church--it fit best with our family needs. Now, DH was raised Episcopalian... and his reminds him continually that he's "Episcopalian in his heart!" Um, no, he's not, as he has told you countless times. My biomom told me I was born Catholic into a foster home of Mennonites, but she's Baptist now. We've exposed DD to Catholic and Episcopalian services on a number of occasions, but, overall, as a whole family, we feel like we are worshipping best (for us!), in our Baptist church. My moms would have been/are just happy to know we have a spiritual walk at all (unfortunately, 1 mom died before the beliefs system took root in our lives).
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. There is such a large diversity here, which I appreciate. My family of origin is not diverse religiously at all. Everyone is Catholic as far back as we know. Both my parents came from huge families, I went to Catholic school, worked for Catholic Charities, and was active in church as a young adult. I did baptize both our kids, so I can see how my mom is pretty stunned about the change. I hope she can see that we are happy now, and the Episcopal church we have been going to is very similar to the Catholic mass. When I was being raised, we were not even allowed to step foot in another church's services. I have always loved learning about other religions, and find truth in many of them.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Just curious...what would there be to blink an eye at? I thought most people have been to weddings, baptisms, funeral services, etc., at houses of worship for religions that they don't practice. Is there a reason someone wouldn't attend if the celebration/mass/service was at a religion other than his own?
    DH's family was only nominally aware of the fact that I was brought up Catholic at the time these events took place (early in our dating relationship,) and they are Very Protestant, so it's something that could have been an issue had it been another family. He has a cousin-in-law who was also raised Catholic and it's been harder for her, but that's mostly because it means a great deal more to her than it does to me. I guess that's what I was trying to express.

DH has been reluctant to attend Catholic services in the past, though it's getting easier for him - his two best friends from college are quite devout Catholics and his late "uncle" was also a devout Catholic, so attending the friends' weddings and his uncle's funeral were done without argument. There are nominal differences in the celebrations of each event, but they're negligible.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. There is such a large diversity here, which I appreciate. My family of origin is not diverse religiously at all. Everyone is Catholic as far back as we know. Both my parents came from huge families, I went to Catholic school, worked for Catholic Charities, and was active in church as a young adult. I did baptize both our kids, so I can see how my mom is pretty stunned about the change. I hope she can see that we are happy now, and the Episcopal church we have been going to is very similar to the Catholic mass. When I was being raised, we were not even allowed to step foot in another church's services. I have always loved learning about other religions, and find truth in many of them.
    Wow, I was so glad I was raised by liberal Catholics who were always open to discussing other religions with us. My mom did let me go to Awana with some Baptist neighbors a few times, but she was very leary about having me join full time because her experience with Southern Baptists not accepting Catholics was something she never understood, but I don't think she would have told our neighbors I couldn't go to church with them if I had spent the night and they wanted to take me. My brother was in a Mormon Cub and Boy Scout troop for the bulk of his Boy Scout career too. These posts always tend to make me sad because everyone seems to always have deep seeded issues with the Catholic faith and I wish there was more positive Catholic discussions in religion posts or active Catholics in general here. I have my issues with the church as well and we church shopped when we moved in 2005 and later switched churches when our old church got rely involved in the Right to Life movement and DD1 started kinder. at another parish school (our current parish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3