Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Almost 30 yrs. ago (I am 37) a friend of mine who was 8 or 8.5 started wearing a training bra in 3rd grade, and believe me back then no one ate organic foods but most of the girls I know at least started puberty between 8 and 10. I honestly don't think that 3rd grade is too out of the ordinary to start puberty. Like the rest of us girls she got her period in 6th or 7th grade. For me I started in the 4th or 5th grade and got my period the year I turned 12. My sister started at the same time and didn't get hers until she 14. My DD1 is 2 months older than your DD and she hasn't started complaining of pain yet, but it could eventually come this year, but I figure unless it comes on super fast and there is a reason for me to be concerned I figure it is just a part of growing up.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

If you're concerned, talk to the ped. It certainly can't hurt. 6 is very young, and I would call the doctor. 8/9 is not so young. I developed at age 9. I didn't get my period for a few years after that. 9 is early, but I don't think it's out of the range of normal, even for 30 years ago.

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    If you're concerned, talk to the ped. It certainly can't hurt. 6 is very young, and I would call the doctor. 8/9 is not so young. I developed at age 9. I didn't get my period for a few years after that. 9 is early, but I don't think it's out of the range of normal, even for 30 years ago.
    No signs yet, 8 is just too close to 6 for my comfort. I'm just worried because DD is such a big (but not overweight) girl.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

At my oldest's 8 year well check (which was actually 2 months after turning 8, so 6 months ago now), our ped told me she saw some "fuzziness" and that pubic hair would be coming soon. She said it was normal, age appropriate, nothing to be worried about. I'm glad she told me because she was right! It seems early to me too and we have always done hormone free dairy and eaten pretty clean.

From what I've read here, if these changes were happening at ages 5-6, they can and do treat for early onset puberty, but it seems that ages 8+ is the normal onset now.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There is such a wide range really. I know some 8 yo, but some haven't had any development like my DN at 11. I would also get the ped's opinion, but probably hand him/her a note so as not to embarrass DD. I remembering being really self conscious once I started developing.
    K

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

After spending a chunk of the day on Google, I've found a few places that indicate early puberty may be correlated to low Vitamin D levels and low Melatonin levels. I think I'll make an appointment for her to visit once school starts and she can wait in the waiting room for a bit while I talk to the doctor and I'll also ask about these 2 things and whether a supplement would slow things down.
    Kris

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Honestly I would take her with you, why cover up the fact that this could be completely natural and on time? If she does have low vitamin d levels she will need to be checked anyway. Not sure about checking melatonin levels though, but assume there is a blood test for that too.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok ladies, here's our story as I've been through this all lately with the culmination of DD's period arriving last week at age 11 (just turned 11 in June).

DD was 7.5 when she told me about "pain in her nipple"...we went to the ped and he told us it was a breast bud...yes early, but not out of the normal range, which is from 7 up....DD was super skinny and I had not started puberty myself until age 13...

So then about a year and half later we had underarm hair, then pubic hair, and slow slow development of breast tissue, nothing too noticeable...

I think you should include her in the doctor appointment, they will want to examine her, DD handled it just fine.

Last week, about a month after her 11th birthday she got her period, she is the first among her friends, many who are older than her, she is wearing it like a badge of honor, she even managed to use a tampon the second day as she is on swim team and we had our big summer meet this week! She even got her period while at her dads (XH) for the weekend, and did manage very well as we were prepared and had talked about it (but I did love how she left him a stack of panty liners by his wallet in the morning with a note asking him to carry them for her for the day as her pockets were too small....he was apparently very uncomfortable...)

There really isn't anything you can do to stop mother nature at this point, at 8 she isn't in the "precocious" puberty range, I think a boardie "mermaid..." had a DD who did do the hormone shots but she was younger.

The American Girl book Care and Keeping of You is excellent, it doesn't mention sex, just body changes of all types, not just puberty, overall hygiene. I highly recommend starting to talk about it early, DD was very aware of what was coming and I was very proud how she handled it all and has asked a lot of good questions.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My older DD got breast buds at 8. It is considered early-normal, but still normal. She did get her period at 10.5, BUT I was also 10 when I got my first period. I'm in my mid 40s.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Honestly I would take her with you, why cover up the fact that this could be completely natural and on time? If she does have low vitamin d levels she will need to be checked anyway. Not sure about checking melatonin levels though, but assume there is a blood test for that too.
    I guess I figure if I'm questioning whether it's normal, typical, etc, I'd rather not have her there. I don't want her to think she's abnormal or something.

I don't know how she'll get her Vit D checked. She completely freaks at any needle and is a total mess.
    Kris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast