TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Sophie (the giraffe) question

DD1 never took to Sophie, but I recently pulled her out and rinsed her off for DD2. Is she supposed to smell really rubbery, like a rubber band? I thought she was supposed to have a vanilla scent. Am I remembering incorrectly?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wifecat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

She has a vanilla scent at first, but it wears off really quickly, IME. She's definitely got a rubbery scent and it could be more pronounced from being in storage. Maybe air her out and see if that helps?
    Mama to miracles, dd (3/09), ds (12/10), dd (8/14)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I remember the vanilla scent, but it's rubber. It's all made in France and meets the EU safety standards, which are stricter than the US standards. I think it'd be fine to use.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A friend of mine pointed out that there were some "fakes" being sold on Amazon a few years back. Sophie should have raised numbers on the back of one of her legs. When I compared DS1 (2009)'s Sophie and DS2 (2011) Sophie, I noticed the newer one had numbers and the older one did not. I also noticed that some of the paint on the legs was chewed off the older one. I think my first Sophie was a fake. She also sounds different too. If you think your Sophie is a little off, maybe it's a fake too.

I think they sell a scented and non-scented version. Neither of the ones we owned (which were definitely authentic) had any kind of scent other than rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by logan's mom View Post
    A friend of mine pointed out that there were some "fakes" being sold on Amazon a few years back. Sophie should have raised numbers on the back of one of her legs. When I compared DS1 (2009)'s Sophie and DS2 (2011) Sophie, I noticed the newer one had numbers and the older one did not. I also noticed that some of the paint on the legs was chewed off the older one. I think my first Sophie was a fake. She also sounds different too. If you think your Sophie is a little off, maybe it's a fake too.
    They didn't start putting numbers on Sophie until 2011 so not having a number isn't a sign that it's fake. I bought one in early 2009 at a froo-froo baby boutique (def real) and it sounds different than more recent Sophie's. I like it because there is never doubt of which Sophie is ours.

eTA: I don't remember Sophie ever smelling good or bad.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had two Sophies (both from BRU, so I presume they were real). Neither one smelled like vanilla, but we had some Vulli brand (same brand as Sophie) teethers that did have that scent . . . At least for the first six months or so, but now, not so much.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!