erv917 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Frye boots for sensitive feet?

I just received a pair of the Phllip Riding boots from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/frye-phi...esults-_-1_1_B

They are so, so pretty! I did not want to like them this much! But, if I am going to splurge on my first pair of Frye's, the NAS is obviously a good time to do so!

So, before I take the plunge, my question for fellow sensitive footed-mamas is do Frye's work for you? I have a high arch and my Plantar Faciitis flares up if I wear shoes without decent arch supports. I gravitate towards comfy brands like Merrell, Chaco, my beloved orthaheel flip flops...you get the picture! The Frye's felt reasonably comfortable, but will I regret this purchase? I know myself, and I have to be realistic about the fact that no matter how gorgeous they are, if they hurt I'll never wear them.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd love to hear. And feel free to add an opinion of the boots style wise too--am I right in thinking they are pretty timeless and classic?

Thanks!

No idea because I can't bring myself to pay that much, even on sale, but the great thing about Nordies is that even if you wear them and discover they aren't for you, you can take them back!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a pair of Frye boots from the amazon megasale a couple years ago and I wouldn't recommend them for fussy feet without added insoles. I added a pair of Dr scholls gel or similar and it made them much more wearable than just the standard insole.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I have a pair of Frye boots from the amazon megasale a couple years ago and I wouldn't recommend them for fussy feet without added insoles. I added a pair of Dr scholls gel or similar and it made them much more wearable than just the standard insole.
    I did this as well, and they are very comfortable!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Yeah, I also have PF (at least in my left foot, used to have it in my right foot, too), and unfortunately Frye boots are not comfortable enough for me. I bought a cute pair from an Amazon sale a couple years ago (I think they were Melissa button). I ordered them in two sizes, sizing up a bit to account for my insert, and unfortunately they still didn't fit, and felt too stiff and hard in the sole for me to wear without an insert. I do love the look of so many Frye boots but have had to stick with boots from the Clarks store instead because of my fussy feet. I also need/ want no-/low-heel in a boot (SAHM, so no need for the heel, plus they're just more comfy to me without much of a heel), and I haven't been able to find many Fryes that fit that bill.
    You could also try Keen or Merrell boots, but they definitely have a more outdoorsy vibe, and not the classic riding boot vibe so many of us like!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have PF and fussy feet as well and when I bought my first (my VERY first, LOL!!!) pair of boots last year (Born), I wore them around the house, all day, with the socks/leggings that I intended to wear with them, for a good couple of weeks until I was convinced they'd work. And then after that I wore them to a work event where I was on my feet walking long distances in a large convention center for 17-hour days (no joke) and they were awesome!!!

So you could do that if you feel guilty actually wearing them out. At least they stay clean in the house, maybe pick a weekend day or a day when you're going to be in the house all day doing housework.

they ARE gorgeous!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't have any issues with my feet and I find Fryes really hard and stiff. I'd look at other brands.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with PPs. I do not think that Fryes are ideal for sensitive feet or feet with comfort issues.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, I have the complete opposite experience! I have very fussy feet and Fryes are like heaven for me!! I have 4 pairs. I couldn't believe how they felt when I first put them on.

I don't tolerate (trust?) having to break shoes in... if they don't feel like heaven right away, I return them.

Also, the good thing about Nordstrom is that you can wear them -- really wear them, for a day or a few days! -- and if they hurt, you can return them for a full refund, no questions asked. Nordstrom return policy + fussy feet = risk-free perfection!

No. I have a problem with my left foot and love boots, but Fryes have always hurt.