ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Expiration date questions and thoughts on these booster seats

A few questions concerning exp. dates....

Saw some clearanced carseats at Target: Graco Turbo booster ($25), Evenflo Big Kid ($30), and a Britax Pioneer - I think that's what it was, for $50. I know the Britax was a harnessed seat and booster seat and the weight/height limits were actually bigger than the other two seats - looks like it was this seat http://www.target.com/p/britax-pione...29&term=britax. Was originally $200 but marked down because it is an online only item. So I'm thinking the exp. date on this may be further out than the others. But, now that I'm looking at it online, does it only convert to a HBB and not a LBB?

Any thoughts on these seats for a 5.5 year old? She is very thin and maybe a bit on the tall side. I had weighted/measured her in May before we bought DD1's HBB and she was 44.5" and 37 lbs.

The manufacture date on the Graco was spring 2013 I think. Anyone know if their Turbo boosters have the general 6 yr. rule that most other Graco seats have? And if their is a difference between the high back and low back modes for the exp. dates (like our current Nautilus the highback and straps expire this December but the lowback is good for two more years after that). I wasn't able to find the exp. date on the others, as I had both girls with me and they were getting antsy! I can go back tonight to check and buy if I decided to get one though.

I was thinking of it just as a spare seat (for now) in DH's car. Both girls (almost 8 and 5.5) are still harnessed in my car, in a Nautilus and Maestro. They still fit fine, and no complaints about the harnesses. But since the Nautilus is close to exp. I bought DD1 a Britax Parkway SGL to use as a spare in DH's car, and to get her used to riding in a HBB. Saw these clearanced seats and thought I'd grab another for DD2 for DH's car. She wants the purple/pink flowered Turbo booster. But, it doesn't have the LATCH hooks. I like the LATCH hooks on DD1's Britax seat. That way we don't have to worry about buckling it in when not in use and even DH commented about how easy it is to un- LATCH it. So am I crazy to consider the Britax Frontier 90 that is clearanced (I'm assuming it has the same LATCH as the Parkway SGL?) for a 5.5 year old just to get the LATCH? I certainly wouldn't buy a harnessed seat at full price for her age, but at $50 it seems like a good deal (and about $40 cheaper than I bought the Parkway for!). We don't necessarily need another seat right now. But I'm always a sucker for a deal or discount..... Her Maestro was made Nov. 2011, does it also have a 6 year date?

My other question, we bought the Nautilus new at Target when it was clearanced. It has never been in an accident and is in my car most of the time (a handful of times in DH's car, my mom's car, and my MIL's car). How strict are you with exp. dates? If I'm using it just as a spare in DH's car (for those rare times when he has to take a kid to one activity and I take the other), would you be OK with using the highback and/or straps on it past the Dec. 2014 exp. date?
    Last edited by ang79; 07-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd definitely get that Britax Pioneer for $50! Use it now and you'll still be able to sell it on Craigslist for more than what you paid for it. Win-win!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    I'd definitely get that Britax Pioneer for $50! Use it now and you'll still be able to sell it on Craigslist for more than what you paid for it. Win-win!
    Its not overkill? I was all set to pick up the Graco til I realized it didn't have the LATCH and I think it would be a pain to have to remember to buckle the seat in. Though if its just a spare, not an every day seat, not too bad I guess.

I also think either the Graco or Evenflo would be fine too, I just wouldn't be able to pass up that Britax!

We have both the Turbo and the Big Kid and my boys both prefer the Big Kid.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    I also think either the Graco or Evenflo would be fine too, I just wouldn't be able to pass up that Britax!

We have both the Turbo and the Big Kid and my boys both prefer the Big Kid.
    Why do they like the Big Kid better? I had DD2 sit in the Turbo and the Big Kid and she insisted the Turbo was more comfy, but I think she just liked the pink/purple pattern vs. the all black Big Kid (though I didn't see what colors the clearance ones were). She was not impressed when I suggested the black/green Britax but I didn't take it out of the box for her to try out. I'm tempted to by the Graco and the Britax both and have her try them in the car, then decide and return one.....

I think they find the Evenflo easier to buckle with the higher armrests.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14