ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Britax Pioneer Questions!

Saw one of these on great clearance ($50) as an online return at my Target. Considering it as a spare carseat for DH's car (or moving the Maestro to DH's car and using the Britax in mine) for DD2. Is it going to be overkill for a 5.5 yr. old? She's skinny, maybe a bit taller than average (or maybe she just looks that way because she's so skinny!). Last time I checked her measurements was May when I was buying our first spare seat for DH's car (ended up with a Britax Parkway SGL). She was 44.5" and 37 lbs. then.

A few Q's about the Pioneer though. Reasons I would get it over other HBB is she could stay harnessed longer (as she is in her Maestro), and the ease of the LATCH clips of the Britax (DH loves the ones on the Parkway). I'd also like a seat that has LATCH for when we use it in booster mode. But from reading around the interent, it sounds like you have to belt it in after a certain weight when using the harness? Can I still use the LATCH when in booster mode, regardless of weight? Also, does it not come with the special lap belt clip to prevent sliding under the belt in booster mode (like the Parkway has?) And it can only be used as a HBB, not a backless booster? The harness, LATCH and lap belt clip are the main pros over the Graco Turbobooster and Evenflo Big Kid that are also on clearance and they are lighter and cheaper price. I know, if we only use it as a spare seat it probably doesn't matter, but I tend to overthink things! And I want a seat that will last the longest/be the safest. FWIW, DH drives a Ford Focus sedan and I have a Ford Taurus X with captains seats in the middle row. No problems fitting the Parkway w/ LATCH in either vehicle, but the Pioneer looks like a bigger seat.

Sorry you got missed! Did you get the seat? Man, what a bargain!
    ALL seats have weight limits when used harnessed, the Pioneer is just super easy to install with a seatbelt, so that's a plus. When used boostered, you can re-LATCH it. The Secure Guard clip has to be purchased separately. MUCH more comfy than Turbo or Big Kid for long trips, and much taller as a booster (nope, can't be used backless).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Went with the graco turbobooster that was also clearanced and only $25. Since it was just a secondary seat I was trying to be budget minded. And DD2 really wanted the graco because it has pink and purple flowers. And the britax was a beast! We've already left the boosters with my in-laws once when they took the girls somewhere band I'm glad we didn't have to install that heavy seat for them. It was hard to pass up such a great deal though!