Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Wart treatment - ouch! Suggestions?

Today DD1 and I went to the dermatologist to get treatment for warts. I have 4 on my toes and she has 1 large one on her thumb and 4 tiny ones on other fingers. We had to wait an hour in the waiting room, but that's another story. Then the doctor "froze" the warts. I went first, and while it wasn't comfortable, it wasn't terrible. DD1 (5 yo) got the large one on her thumb treated first. 1/2 way through she was yelling "ouch" and after that one I had to essentially hold her down for the other ones to be treated I hate myself for doing it, but figured it was better to get the little ones done quickly rather than drawing out the process. We'll likely have to go back 2-4 more times, although I'm hopeful her little ones are done.
    Is there a better way? This derma didn't have a great bedside manner but made it sound like this is the only method she trusts for getting rid of them. I'm not sure what I'll have to promise to DD1 to get her back there again. Is there anything else I should be looking into or doing? I feel terrible for DD1. After the treatment she cried for 10 minutes then she sobbed all way home She is a drama queen, but I still feel so guilty.

I've had warts frozen off and so has DD and while it is uncomfortable, it is the fastest and most reliable method we've tried. If you aren't thrilled with the derm, I would find another because a gentle bedside manner might make all the difference for your daughter.

Try not to feel bad! It's so hard as mom to sit there and hear them cry but sometimes it just has to be done!

Duct tape.
    It sounds weird but it worked on a really old wart I had from childhood, when freezing (derm & OTC stuff) didn't. In that instance I just put new* duct tape on it. It took a while but eventually fell off.

I subsequently got newer warts in different spots. The original one was on my finger. So I sanded them with an emery board (doesn't hurt - sand just the wart to irritate it), then sprayed with OTC stuff, then put a piece of duct tape on it. Then covered with a bandaid and tried hard not to touch other parts of my body. Those didn't take nearly as long to remove.

I've been wart-free for years. Hope that helps!
    DS - Dec 2008

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Duct tape all the way! It really works. Trick is to fasten it right, so the wart can't "breathe" had to keep it on/change it right until it's completely gone.

for Sandy Hook

Our previous doctor recommended:

File/emery board the wart to get the dead stuff off.

Soak in apple cider vinegar. (Can't remember how long, maybe online somewhere?)

Cover with duct tape.

Can't remember how often to change the tape... but I think the wart is supposed to be gone after a few weeks.

Thankfully, while DD cries about the freezing for her plantar warts, she takes the doctor's treatments like a tough kid, and we hit up Cold Stone Creamery afterwards.... I'm not above bribery to get through the freezing treatments with her!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We tried duct tape and it didn't do squat..

The dermatologist put beetle juice, it has another name, and within days it was gone except for a bit and he gave us a scrip for a high dose saylsilic acid and it's never returned... No pain ever. DD's wart was on the bottom of her foot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Duct tape hasn't done squat for my husband. He had a treatment or two at the doc for a different wart and ended up starting the duct tape method a couple months ago for the one on the bottom of his foot. He's sticking to it (ha), but it in my opinion it clearly isn't working for him.

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Beetle juice is what both my doc and kids doc recommend.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have good luck with soaking in apple cider vinegar and then making a paste of crushed aspirin and putting that on the wart. Cover with duct tape. Takes a week or so.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it doesn't really bother you, just wait them out. They will go away, IME.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast