Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What do you do with last years school work?

I have tons of paper, work sheets for maths, science and social studies. Should I be saving any of these or should I just discard? My YDD will be in K in 2 years so I don't know whether saving any of these will be useful to her.

Thank you.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I recycled 95% of what came home and kept just a few worksheets/writing samples/art work that would be representative of my DC's school year. I keep those in Rubbermaid boxes and add to as the years pass.
    K

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I recycled 95% of what came home and kept just a few worksheets/writing samples/art work that would be representative of my DC's school year. I keep those in Rubbermaid boxes and add to as the years pass.
    Not in Rubbermaid but tossed 95% and kept a few items.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I probably tossed about 98% of the papers from DD and 95% from Ds (his first year of preschool so some cute mother's day projects). We would be buried by paperwork if we kept it all.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

At that age, I only keep artwork that is special or any writing projects that I really like. It's like 2% of what came home. You kept ALL of it???
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    At that age, I only keep artwork that is special or any writing projects that I really like. It's like 2% of what came home. You kept ALL of it???
    Yeah I did. I just didn't know whether I would need it later on in the school year. Its TONS of paper. And I want to clear everything out before school start.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I toss most of the schoolwork that comes home. I don't have room to save it all.

I actually just went through my son's schoolwork and I was able to get preschool through 3rd grade
    all in one bin.

In all honesty, what is he going to do with bins of old schoolwork. It will sit in the same bins in his
    basement of his house!! Just more junk to move from place to place!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I put it in something like this with folders for each year. Hoping to fit k-12 in there! I filter stuff as it comes in and then filter again at the end of the year. I just keep report cards, test score results and a few stories or projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-L...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Get rid as much as possible as soon as it comes home. I usually open folders in the garage so I can put the papers directly in the recycling bin. In seven years of schooling so far with three kids I've only managed to put one item in there I needed later (a permission slip that was easily solved).

I weed down to one folder per child. It can be kind of bulging by the end of the year but then I weed it again. A couple of examples from the beginning and end of the year of written work and cute art projects. If it can't be folded down to fit in the letter size file folder then I do not keep it. Each year gets a hanging file in a box. My 10YO's box is about 3/4 full but I kept too much art work from when he was little.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Check out this blog post about organizing your kids' schoolwork.

http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com...k-storage.html
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast