Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Heads up: Lowes built and grow

Registration is now open for the 8/9 project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ckso View Post
    Registration is now open for the 8/9 project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! We weren't able to go to the one on Saturday and I forgot it was time to sign up again.

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! Just signed up
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

We've never done one of these. Can someone tell me about them?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

All you have to do is sign up and show up with the registration release form.

If it is your first time they give the kids an apron and goggles and the kit and they have hammers you can borrow.

You can buy your own little hammers too.

All you do is follow the instructions that come with the kit.

We have been doing them off and on for a couple of years now with our oldest and he does need help but he loves that he can take pride that he built it himself.

When you are done you bring it back up to the person running the clinic and they give you a patch (you can iron it on the apron).

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

I've only been to one. It's a lot of hammering. LOL

At the one I went to, they had set up a little area in the store. They give you the craft pieces in a bag, and the kids gets a Lowe's work apron, a small hammer, safety goggles and a patch. There were a couple of kids there who had several patches ironed on their aprons, so I assume they had been to several. We built a Christmas train engine, so the kit had the wood pieces, stickers, wheels and the instructions. DH helped DS (about a month shy of his 4th birthday then) put his together. I would say it took maybe 30 minutes? Some kids were faster, some were slower. It was fun and DS seemed to enjoy it. We haven't been back though because we seem to always have something going on.

The one we went to had maybe 20 to 30 kids? They actually ran out of trains, so the stragglers were given leftover kits from other workshops. It was November, so a lot of folks were disappointed because they wanted the train engine. That might just be an especially popular craft, but I would try to get there on time to make sure you get whatever they are advertising to build.

ETA: Were we supposed to give the hammer back? Oops!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Ours is always very crowded. We're never early, but there is always a line when we arrive about 15 minutes late. I did notice this last week that those who had registered online got the actual kit for the day. Those who just showed up without registering were getting kits from previous projects. Some people just take the kits and leave.

DS2 is too short to use the tables anyway so he and I usually sit on the floor and build while DS1 and DH stand at a table. There are instructions, and all of the pieces are cut. You just hammer some little nails and stick on some stickers. All things considered, I've been impressed with the quality of the kits.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ruh-roh, I somehow hadn't thought about having to help both kids put the craft together at the same time! Sounds like a recipe for disaster for us - DS (3) will be into it but will definitely need help and DD (6) won't be able to figure out the instructions on her own and gets realllly frustrated/cranky when she can't do something easily. And have I mentioned that I stink at putting things together?? Lol. Somehow I guess I envisioned that the craft would be run by some people who would assist the kids. Sigh, wonder if I should cancel...
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

It may take longer, but I think you could probably help both if you do one step with both and then move to the next. You might want to wear pants and just plan on sitting on the floor though (if it's like ours) so that your little one will be able to hammer. The directions are pretty easy to follow (pictures mainly that just show which parts to nail together). Just pay attention to which size nail to use on each step because there are often two sizes, and I always end up using long ones when I should use short. I start a nail and then let DS hammer it in so there's quite a bit of waiting involved while he hammers.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This was really neat to see but checking our local lowe's it's already full. I'll keep an eye open for the next one though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast