Default what is the most comfy seat for extended rear-facing?

my younger daughter is almost six, and is about 37 pounds and 43 inches. She is rear-facing in a Radian XTSL, with the added pad underneath to be more upright, in our 2012 Toyota Sienna. I intend to keep her rear-facing until she hits the limit of 45 pounds. I got the Radian when she was a baby, so it is about six years old now but won't expire for another two years or so.

Sometimes on longer drives, she says her back hurts or her head hurts. I wonder if there is a newer seat on the market that would be more comfortable? The Radian is rather austere when it comes to padding and angles of the seat to the seatback. I definitely want something that will rear-face to at least 45 pounds.

In our other car, a 2004 Honda Accord, she is rear-facing in a Britax Marathon 70-G3, which has a rear-facing limit of 40 pounds. She doesn't complain in there but she is never in there for more than 30 minutes at most. She is a few pounds from going forward facing in that seat, so I don't want to move it to the Sienna.

What is the most comfy extended rear-facing seat on the market now? Are there any that go higher than 45 pounds rear-facing?
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Quote Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies View Post
    my younger daughter is almost six, and is about 37 pounds and 43 inches. She is rear-facing in a Radian XTSL, with the added pad underneath to be more upright, in our 2012 Toyota Sienna. I intend to keep her rear-facing until she hits the limit of 45 pounds. I got the Radian when she was a baby, so it is about six years old now but won't expire for another two years or so.

Sometimes on longer drives, she says her back hurts or her head hurts. I wonder if there is a newer seat on the market that would be more comfortable? The Radian is rather austere when it comes to padding and angles of the seat to the seatback. I definitely want something that will rear-face to at least 45 pounds.

In our other car, a 2004 Honda Accord, she is rear-facing in a Britax Marathon 70-G3, which has a rear-facing limit of 40 pounds. She doesn't complain in there but she is never in there for more than 30 minutes at most. She is a few pounds from going forward facing in that seat, so I don't want to move it to the Sienna.

What is the most comfy extended rear-facing seat on the market now? Are there any that go higher than 45 pounds rear-facing?
    I know there is a Graco convertible that is good for extended rear facing, but not sure which one it is. I am curious though, how your 6 year old still fits rear facing in a marathon 70 G3. I just had to turn my 3.5 year old in his marathon 70, because he was too tall, and the marathon 70-G3 has an even shorter shell. I am lusting over the chicco nextfit, but again, not sure if your daughter would be too tall to rear face in that.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would look into a Peg Perego. It's very comfortable, goes until 45 lbs, and kids seem to last longer height wise in it than a Britax (even though they measure the same.) I have a Britax Advocate and my 36 inch DD has about 1.5 inches more room above her head in the Peg (with the headrest extended to max RF position, which you can't do in a Britax).

The Foonf goes until 50 lbs, but it's very firm. You can't feel the shell underneath or behind the back, it's just quite a firm cushion. Kind of like a tempurpedic mattress compared to a pillow top - it's comfortable, but not cushy. However my DD really seems to like it and loves the fantastic view out the back and side windows from it sitting so high up. Tons of leg room.

I found the Graco seats to be too hard - I can feel the plastic shell behind the back and under the seat and to me it seems uncomfortable, especially for a sensitive kid.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    I am curious though, how your 6 year old still fits rear facing in a marathon 70 G3. I just had to turn my 3.5 year old in his marathon 70, because he was too tall, and the marathon 70-G3 has an even shorter shell. I am lusting over the chicco nextfit, but again, not sure if your daughter would be too tall to rear face in that.
    Your DD must be really tiny. I can't even imagine trying to fit my DSS2 (5.5 yo) into a Marathon at this point, especially RFing. He's WAY too tall for that seat!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

We have the Advocate and my 2 yr old (27 months) is growing out of it. She has maybe an inch to the top for rear facing. Wish I had known better when we bought it. She's 37" tall but she's mostly legs. The Pria is up to 40" but that won't last too much longer. I heard the nextfit or the pacifica is good for extended RF

The NextFit is quite cushy and padded, seems very comfortable. It's a great seat for ERF, but I don't know if it would be worth it for you at this point--the RF weight limit is 40 lbs. My DS still fits fine height- and leg-wise at 4y10 mos, but we'll have to turn him soon b/c he weighs 38-39 lbs. He is also 42-43", has a way to go with the headrest.
    Last edited by YouAreTheFocus; 07-28-2014 at 02:50 PM.

The XTSL really has the most RF leg room. I've been hinting about getting one for my 2.5 year old to give him more room than he has in the NextFit or Roundabout 50. I think that the NextFit is taller but it doesn't have as much leg room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Leg room isn't really an issue because it is installed in a captain's chair and we recline the back of the seat she she has leg room. It's more the angle of the carseat itself and the lack of padding that makes her back hurt after awhile. We forgot to put the angle adjuster back in last time and she really complained a lot more. It got a little better once we put the angle adjuster back in.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

You could look at the NextFit, though in my van the seats are so sloped that only 2 of the recline positions are acceptable for rear facing. I wouldn't spend that much for a seat for a 5 year old with only 3 pounds to go to the RF limit. I think for a 45+lb you are limited to the Diono seats or a Foonf. You could look at the new Diono Ranier and Pacifica but I'm not sure if they have more padding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Next Fit or Foonf...maybe the newest Graco, the 4Ever, it's very tall and pretty cushy. And yeah, Peg Perego.
    New Britax coming out 8/14, but I have no idea what it is, might be worth waiting and watching?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#