View Poll Results: Do you prefer to host an at-home child bday party, or have it at a fun location?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • At home

10 23.26%
  • Off-site

31 72.09%
  • Other (please explain)

2 4.65%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can do an at home party much cheaper than a venue. But, I don't rent stuff, hire an entertainer or do a meal. I used to do a meal but it was too much stress. IME, kids are happy to run around, eat cake and maybe play a game or 2.

We do serve a light brunch meal, but that is just a few dozen bagels and a quiche, nothing crazy. And the kids are happy to just run around and then eat cake and run around again My Dad broke out the rocket balloons for the boy's party this year, and the kids were enthralled!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like to do small parties at home (either old-fashioned simple parties or themed) and large parties at a venue. I have done large parties at home with an entertainer, but honestly I think it's a huge pain. If I'm paying the money, I would rather outsource the work!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've done a mix. The venue parties often allow for less creativity but I feel like they are so much easier. One thing to watch for is if you can bring your own food. Some make you use their food and don't allow anything from outside except maybe the cake.

We just did an indoor trampoline place. Other contenders were the kids museum, zoo, old fashioned farm, bowling and mini golf.

Other venues I remember were Build A Bear, gymnastics place, Engineering for Kids location (Legos), bouncy place, park district.
    DS age 9

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can do an at home party much cheaper than a venue. But, I don't rent stuff, hire an entertainer or do a meal. I used to do a meal but it was too much stress. IME, kids are happy to run around, eat cake and maybe play a game or 2.
    Yeah, we've been invited to some home parties and they've been very simple. No entertainers or rented stuff. Simple appetizer stuff. One friend in particular always has a very small guest list - four or five kids max and then some of her adult friends. I'd be shocked if she spends more than $100, and that's being generous.

We do venues because we have a winter birthday and small house.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have a particular preference. I just hosted my first home party and enjoyed it and yet I'm totally not an entertainer at all. But what made it nice was that DD1 only invited 6 friends, 4 who attended, and no parents stayed (DD1 turned 7 and I knew 3 of the 4 moms already). I had them at my house for 2.5hr and it was easy to entertain with crafts, games, food, and presents for that amount of time and 6 kids altogether with DDs. We have not had a venue party yet but attended quite a few. My kids always have fun at the venues but I find them loud, crazy busy with other families, and you kind of get rushed in/out by the venue (because there's always a party after yours). The one thing I'd add is that time of the year matters. I was lucky to be able to host this party outside. But DD2's birthday is mid-December and hosting a bunch of kids inside my house is less ideal and so a venue would probably be better in winter.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

We only do parties every 3 years. I do not feel bad spending a bit more at an off-site location. It is so much easier.

We had a joint birthday party for my boys last year at a bounce place where we get the place to ourselves. We will probably do the same this year. Their birthdays are right after school starts so we invite their whole classes (preschool). It's a good way to meet other parents so I think that people try harder to come at the beginning of the school year.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I prefer throwing venue parties, because our house isn't big enough to have more that a couple families over without it being too crowded. As for attending parties, I don't care if it's home or venue. My biggest issue with venues is that I worry more than I do at someone's house. One particular party place that has gymnastics equipment is very unsafe. I throw a fit every time we go there and pretty much refuse to go there now. Several of us have gotten hurt and the venue doesn't seem to care.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3