MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default rejected by VRBO?

Has anyone been rejected for a VRBO.com listing? I just tried to book 3 nights in a cute bungalow in Chattanooga, TN for the fall (trying to plan ahead). But, I got an email back that the owner would not confirm it. No explanation. I am a little annoyed as I spent time looking at the site, checking the location and reading the reviews. The description indicates that it is one of several income properties in the local area for the owner who works in the hospitality industry. Seems like they would want the booking!

Anyone with lots of VRBO experience? Is this typical?

We have stayed in several vacation rentals in other areas, but usually through a local agent. I have not used the VRBO site before.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They could have a no kid policy?

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are they only interested in week-long rentals?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Is it still listed? If not, maybe it was listed for that time period by mistake. You'll likely never know, it could be anything.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Is it still listed? If not, maybe it was listed for that time period by mistake. You'll likely never know, it could be anything.
    Yeah, they could be holding it for friends or family that haven't decided their schedule yet, or any other number of things.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have not had that experience, but overall, I've had much better experiences going through airbnb than through VRBO. The owners have always been super responsive, there are more options (at least in the areas where I was traveling) and the site was just much more user friendly. I've done it twice, and both times got a great deal for a very nice apartment.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I sent a quick message to the owner just to check the reason. The listing made it very clear that they are hospitality industry folks (own is manager of a resort out of town), so it seemed like they should be more professional about the listing and the communication other than just a "no" without reason. I would have been very satisfied with a quick "I'm sorry, the listing was in error, and the home is not available." The wording of the email from VRBO was very strange and stiff.

I did not think it was the kid thing, as she has numerous reviews and the description specifically mentions it being a family friendly home and location (close to attractions for families). She has a 2 night min, and I was trying to book for 3, so I thought that should be ok.

She did get back to me after 2 days, and sent a very nice message, which I must give her credit for. Turns out that if the owner does not respond within a set time frame (24 hr, I think?) on VRBO, the system sends an automated response rejecting the reservation. She was on vaca herself, and did not reply in time. Anyway, just wanted ppl to be aware of that if they use VRBO in the future.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.