Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default A week in Pittsburgh PA

Will be visiting family & need good ideas of what to do with the kids. Mid August.
    Thanks!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default A week in Pittsburgh PA

The zoo is nice. They have a good children's museum. The cathedral of learning at the University of Pittsburgh is really cool for adults. There is a small amusement park. Sorry, my memory is a bit cloudy. We moved away in 2009.
    Last edited by Staraglimmer; 07-29-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Been gone 11 years now, but from what I remember:
    Strip District
    Mt. Washington incline
    Shadyside
    Children's museum
    Pirates game (walk across Clemente bridge)
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

Places noted plus...
    Kennywood
    Steeler Training Camp in Latrobe
    Historical Museum
    Many great parks
    South Park used to have a wave pool, not sure it is still there.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We were only there for 2 days - but LOVED the children's museum and spent alot of time in there with a 2,4 & 6 year old. If we were there longer - we were going to check out the Carnegie science center. Only a short trip - but we liked riding the "incline" and checking out the view while eating ice cream from their VERY SMALL gift shop. Touristy thing to do but were glad we did it!

I've only made a couple trips back since having kids and mine are a lot younger than yours, so we are just getting into the 'what to do with the kids phase' but the Science Museum on the Northside is impressive. There's also the Carnegie Nat History museum on the other side of town, both are very cool. Nearby the Nat history museum is the Phipps conservatory, depending on what exhibits they have going on the kids might enjoy it and/or the art musuem. Duquesne incline (the one that goes up to Mt. Washington) for sure. Riverboat brunch cruise might be fun. Kennywood mentioned above is a very old amusement park, very cool, although it's been a decade since I was there, so I don't really know what it's currently like.

There are usually a lot of festivals, art shows etc going on in the summer. The Aviary is sort of a hidden gem, for years I didn't bother going and then a friend came to visit and wanted to check it out and I was glad we went. When we go, there's always so much to ***eat*** that I can't get where I live in CA - Rita's Ice. Frozen custard. Really good pizza. And there's Primantis - where they serve your coleslaw and french fries on your sandwhich. It's a great family friendly city - have fun!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your inbox is full. I have more ideas. Clear some space and I'll send them.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Done and THANKS ALL! *Taking notes*
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

We have been a few times in the last four years as my grandmother lives there. We went most recently in March with other family so kids aged 10, 7.5, 5, and 3. They love the Carnegie Science Center (lots of hands-on stuff) and the sports center attached to it. They had a great time at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (lots of dinosaurs!). If you are a member of your local children's museum check and see if it is reciprocal to the Science Center and Children's Museum. Ours was so it was free The zoo is great, but I live in a city with a non-zoo (just houses rescue animals) so it is always exciting for my kids to get to an actual zoo. The Children's Museum is great! Make sure to bring dry clothes if you plan to let the kids do water play as they will most surely be soaked. The incline is fun to ride and has a great view of the city. Do you already have a hotel/place to stay? If not I can make some recommendations based on where we have stayed before.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn't like their zoo, thought it was too expensive for what it was. But we love their children's museum, and also their science museum is really good too. Lots of hands on stuff. The incline was cool and the food scene in Pittsburgh is pretty awesome. We used yelp to find places to eat at.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast