Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Update in OP - Which HBB should I get?

Update - I bought the Harmony Dreamtime HBB and for the LBB's, I went with 2 more of the Harmony Youth boosters (I had one already for DD1). First of all, thank you to Jools for suggesting that I use LBB's for everyday! It has been a complete lifesaver!! We are still in a rental, a Chevy Orlando (piece of junk gaz guzzler that I can't wait to return ), which is basically the same seat configuration as the Mazda 5, which is very likely what we will end up with. I can't imagine having to deal with maneuvering the 2 HBB's each time I need to let my older 2 kids into the back seat or need to collapse the seats for grocery shopping. These cars have zero trunk space so the third row is often collapsed down. DH thinks it's an insult to even put that teeny-tiny "trunk" in the back. With the LBB's, it is soooo easy to just throw them on the floor! It did take a good week of threats and prompting to remind my little two to not be silly and sit straight in their seats. Plus, doesn't help that there are roundabouts all over the place here so when I turn through them, my girls used to think it was very funny to flop all over the back. Several days of locking their seatbelts put an end to that . So far in the month we've been here, I've only used the HBB's once and the Dreamtime was just fine. It was only an hour and a half drive and there were no complaints. Fit was good. They are both vying to sit in it over the Monteray because the Harmony one is pink and Monteray is red, which is apparently a "boyish" colour according to my girls. Oy!

As an aside, I thought I'd really miss my Sienna but honestly, I have no desire to drive it here. Sure, I wish my kids didn't have to push and shove every time they get in and out but the streets and parking here are just not designed for bigger vehicles and the Sienna seems like a bus compared to all the compact 7-seaters that are very popular. I'm much happier driving a smaller, zippier car that can easily fit in most spots.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please bear with me for what I hope is my last HBB booster question these days.

This will be for one of my 5.5yo twins in a Mazda 5 in the second row. She's around 40lbs and on the taller side but not super tall. Planning to switch from a Maestro and Frontier to HBB in a few weeks. It will only be used for times when I expect her to fall asleep in the car so head support is important. Most days she'll be in the car for under 10 minutes just in our local area which is suburb/residential so she'll use a LBB. I'd prefer to not spend a ton on it as I don't know how often it will be used. I was originally going to get the Parkway but just seems like a lot to spend ($180 here) on something that might be used a few times a month. I'm in Canada so prices are higher, choices are different and I can't seem to find all the same names/models as I've been seeing mentioned in other posts.

Harmony Dreamtime - $50 (Is this the Harmony one everyone keeps recommending?)
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/dreamtim.../1255145919346

Graco Turbobooster - $65

Evenflo Big Kid AMP - $60
    http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=15652576

Evenflo Big Kid LX - $60
    http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=22767616

Those seem to be all the more decent looking ones in the $50-$60 range. After that they jump to $120 and up.

Would any of those work for my purposes or should I really be considering the pricier ones?
    Last edited by mikeys_mom; 09-15-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Update
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just curious about why you'd bother between switching between HBB and LBB. Since she's only 40 lbs I think you'll find a HBB is more comfy and less likely to rub on her neck, I think she will also be able to buckle herself more quickly because you won't need to worry about threading the adjustment thing.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also is there some reason you can't use the frontier or maestro as a booster for a bit?

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the Big Kid Amp and like it. Fits both my 5 and 7 year olds well. Pretty decent seat for the money.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Just curious about why you'd bother between switching between HBB and LBB. Since she's only 40 lbs I think you'll find a HBB is more comfy and less likely to rub on her neck, I think she will also be able to buckle herself more quickly because you won't need to worry about threading the adjustment thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Also is there some reason you can't use the frontier or maestro as a booster for a bit?
    We are moving overseas and downsizing from our Sienna to a Mazda 5. It will be our only car and I'll have to be moving around seats a lot for carpool and grocery shopping. Twins full-day preschool is walking distance from our house so there will be days they are not even in the car. For the times I do need to drive with them in the car on short, local errands, I think it will be much easier to have the LBB's in the car than always thinking ahead and moving HBB's in and out of the car.

I want to buy the new HBB before we go (I have a Monteray that we already sent on our container) and they are ready for the switch so I'd prefer not to shlep the Frontier and Maestro with us if they are not really going to be used much. Plus, there is no garage so storage will be an issue.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    We have the Big Kid Amp and like it. Fits both my 5 and 7 year olds well. Pretty decent seat for the money.
    Thanks! Good to know.

ETA - Forgot to ask - How is the head/neck support for when they fall asleep? That is an important feature for me.
    Last edited by mikeys_mom; 07-30-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional question
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Harmony Dreamtime and Turbo booster. We also have a LBB Amp. I like both HBB about the same. The Turbo is easier to raise the back/headrest than the Dreamtime, but neither is difficult. I think you're fine with any of those choices.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    We have the Harmony Dreamtime and Turbo booster. We also have a LBB Amp. I like both HBB about the same. The Turbo is easier to raise the back/headrest than the Dreamtime, but neither is difficult. I think you're fine with any of those choices.
    Glad to hear these all work well. How is the head/neck support for a sleeping child? My Monteray is amazing at keeping my kids upright when asleep and I had a similar experience with a Parkway I once borrowed. Head slump is a big concern for me.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    Glad to hear these all work well. How is the head/neck support for a sleeping child? My Monteray is amazing at keeping my kids upright when asleep and I had a similar experience with a Parkway I once borrowed. Head slump is a big concern for me.
    DS1 fell asleep in the Dreamtime twice in the last few days and he's had no head slump at all.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    DS1 fell asleep in the Dreamtime twice in the last few days and he's had no head slump at all.
    Perfect! This is the seat I was leaning towards as I can order online from Walmart together with the extra LBB's I plan to buy. Glad to hear it works well.

Thanks for your help.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast