JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default X-Post What is legally required to revoke permission to exchange info

I posted this in the lounge with hopes that more people would see it and respond. However, I'm now posting it here in case you didn't see it!

The short story is I am ending my work with an advocacy agency. They are very hard to get a hold of. I want to know that they can no longer exchange release info with other parties. If I call, I will likely get voicemail and no one will get back to me. I know I can submit a letter in writing with my request, signature, etc, but does anyone know what is legally required to make this binding?

I found the following on-line, but don't know if its HIPPA or a different confidentiality agreement that this agency falls under, as they are not healthcare

Type the following information on a piece of paper: your name, address, telephone number and the statement (developed from FSAFEDS), "I revoke any authorizations to release medical, healthcare and insurance-related information by [insert organization name] to any third party." Sign the form.

Thanks
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, here my school can't release any info or talk to people about my kid unless I say it's OK. I have to re-sign that every year. So whatever you may have signed in the past is probably no longer valid for this school year.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I was going to ay what egoldber said, and also: as I understand it, you'd have to give permission to both parties before information can be shared. For example, I sign a release with my son's psychiatrist that she can share information with his pediatrician, and another release with his pediatrician so that they can ask the psychiatrist for it. So if you can't get in touch with the people at the advocacy agency, maybe you can send the "I revoke authorization..." statement to everyone else that you're working with, to say that they cannot accept information from the advocacy agency?

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, great ideas! I am not sure I want to use that though, as the other involved party is the school district and not sure I want to call attention to the fact that I am no longer working with this agency. I will think about it though--it is really a great idea!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes