Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

How was the first day?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    How was the first day?
    Thanks so much for asking, Beth. The first day was great with some slight snags. I took the day off as school went from 12-3:20 today. We arrived and they first talked to the kids in a big group. They allowed parents to stay (which I had not planned on) and I stayed. They then had the kid go to their first period class. Dd wanted me to stay and other parents stayed, but then I left when they left. While I was still in the class, the spec ed teacher approached me and we talked. He casually mentioned that dd's case manager was a new teacher--we had talked extensively about him being the case manager when we met in the Spring. He said that there was probably a clerical mistake as someone retired..but then said I could request a change if I wanted. I said I did want to... I had 3 meetings with this guy and dd and I really liked him! He also said the other teacher was supposed to call me to set up a meeting, which hadnt happened. He asked if I was picking up, which I was. When I picked up, among other things he ended up talking to dd and finding out she was having some problems with the girl she shares a locker with --I was very impressed with the way he talked to dd and that he was able to find this out...at the same time, there was a lot that happened today that would not have happened if I had not been there, which is both good and bad. Good, that they pay attention to parents but bad as I wont be there 99% of the time!

Anyway, in summary, it was far better than any experience we have had so far. I had been having a particularly hard time last night wondering if I would once again be throwing dd to the wolves, as far as their lack of understanding about her...and feeling my own trauma about how terrible things have been. What I see, is that they are willing and able to listen to parents at this school (which is huge and different than past experiences), but that my participation will be critical. As far as dd, she was happy with her day and was only mildly stressed about the locker mate situation. I helped her write a note to the spec ed teacher, so she can continue to talk with him about this!.

Thanks again for asking! I hope your kids had a good first day of school (whenever that was)!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3