Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for updating! FWIW, it sounds to me like you handled that call really well. A few things sound odd to me - that the supervisor would say she's worried you'd badmouth the agency. She could simply have said, she's concerned there could be a conflict. Without the accusing tone, for something that you haven't actually done (badmouthing the agency)...And if they're not doing their job right, well it's not your problem, it's THEIR problem. You'd be justified in expressing your opinion to other parents.

Admitting the workers is burned out on the case seems like a good thing but then why give an excuse? That's irrelevant to you and IMO shouldn't be brought up to you, as a client. If you aren't doing any of those things that are listed in the client agreement as a reason to terminate services (failure to show up for appointments, etc) then the fact that the worker has burnout is NOT a reflection on you.

I'm glad you'll get the chance to meet the new worker face to face and get a read on her. I hope it works out for you and DD!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you so much, Pepper, for your kind and insightful response.

I agree there are some odd things/flags still there. I do wonder if I am not better off just cutting them loose (I have also done some work with the middle school spec ed admin. and that has gone mostly well). OTOH, I feel it can't hurt to meet with the new worker (assuming that she agrees to meet with me)...I will try to tread carefully...ideally this agency can help my dd, but I certainly don't need them to make things worse or drag me down.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That all sounds very frustrating. I hope things go better than expected for your DD and her IEP this year. FWIW, I have found middle shool admins and speced team take my concerns and DD's issues much more seriously than the elementary school did.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    That all sounds very frustrating. I hope things go better than expected for your DD and her IEP this year. FWIW, I have found middle shool admins and speced team take my concerns and DD's issues much more seriously than the elementary school did.
    Thanks, Beth. I am glad you had that experience, and sure hope we do too. There are lots of things that make me think we will--because my preliminary meetings with the school have been so positive, because more of dd's challenges come into play as the material/tasks get harder, etc. OTOH, dd remains a child whose strengths can mask her challenges--especially when people are not looking closely/have kids who much more obviously have a disability, etc...so, I hope for the best.

Tonight I am really wondering about cutting the agency loose, though--I don't even know if they can be helpful....
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Keep up updated.

There are lots of things that make me think we will--because my preliminary meetings with the school have been so positive, because more of dd's challenges come into play as the material/tasks get harder, etc.
    Yes, this is what we have seen. As the work, personal responsibility, and social issues became more challenging, her issues were more obvious.

I have also found that the MS folks have a long view, whereas the ES had a much shorter view. The MS is more "how can we set her up to succeed long term", and the ES was more "she seems fine today, so it's not that big of a deal".

I hope your experience is similarly positive. While MS itself has been very, very hard for her, the support has been wonderful.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Well, it has been 2 weeks since my conversation with the supervisor and I have not heard back from anyone. School starts on Wednesday. I suppose there is still some chance they could call this week, and things could work out, but its starting to become obvious that I must continue on without this agency. In some ways it is relieving to not have to make a decision and worry that I am getting rid of something that may be helpful in some way. OTOH, middle school here we come. I truly hope for the best and am optimistic in many ways, but am also cautious and worried based on both history and my dd.

Please send PTs or anything else you have to send, on top of this type of stuff, the beginning of the year is a very important time for dd socially--and she can either do really well or spiral downward depending upon how things go. I am so wishing I could find a part time job that allows me to pick her up, as she also does so much better when she has my support.

Ugh. But, as you say, it looks like a sign to move on. You did everything you could to make it work with them. I hope all goes well for DD this week; would you be able to take the time off to pick her up from school, maybe just for this week? To help get things off to a good start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Ugh. But, as you say, it looks like a sign to move on. You did everything you could to make it work with them. I hope all goes well for DD this week; would you be able to take the time off to pick her up from school, maybe just for this week? To help get things off to a good start?

Thank you so much for all of your support, Pepper! Yes, I am taking some time off this next week. Believe it or not, their first day of school is Wed and starts at noon . The positive part of that is that I am taking the whole day off, so will pick up and drop off. I am also picking up Thursday and have friends she is comfortable with doing the drop off/pick up when I can't. Beginnings are very important for her, so a smart question to ask.

Best of luck for the new year!

Thanks, Beth! Same to you and your family!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast