Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids all drank hypo formula (Alimentum/Nutramigen/Elecare) until age 2-2.5. It is fine for children over age 1 who continue to have multiple food allergies.
    K

Update: So we tried Alimentum and hemp milk but she will not drink them in straw cups. She will take some Alimentum from a bottle so we have been doing that daily first thing in the morning. She will drink about 3 oz. We've had better luck with flax milk so she is getting that in straw cups at meal times. We are giving her the flax milk with added protein from Whole Foods. I really would like to stop giving her bottles since she is doing fine with straw cups and open cups. Maybe Elecare/Elecare Jr will taste better? Our insurance will not cover it though so cost is a concern. Although that won't stop me from getting it if it's truly needed. Any other advice or suggestions are appreciated!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rolypoly27 View Post
    Update: So we tried Alimentum and hemp milk but she will not drink them in straw cups. She will take some Alimentum from a bottle so we have been doing that daily first thing in the morning. She will drink about 3 oz. We've had better luck with flax milk so she is getting that in straw cups at meal times. We are giving her the flax milk with added protein from Whole Foods. I really would like to stop giving her bottles since she is doing fine with straw cups and open cups. Maybe Elecare/Elecare Jr will taste better? Our insurance will not cover it though so cost is a concern. Although that won't stop me from getting it if it's truly needed. Any other advice or suggestions are appreciated!
    would your insurance cover it if you had a letter of medial necessity from the dr? ours was actually billed under durable medical equipment and we had to have letters from the dr. just a thought, as sometimes you have to play games with insurance. i was recently told that our insurance would not cover speech developmental delays. I called back because technically DS's issues were caused by his ear infections, not a developmental delay. After a few conversations and working with the coding dept at the hospital, it was determined that he did in fact qualify for speech coverage. We just had to know how to work the system properly so it didn't get denied.

I added a small amount of white grape juice to DS's elecare. It smells similar to Alimentum so maybe try that? It was just enough to mask the yucky smell. When he turned 1 we switched to Elecare Jr, which comes in Vanilla flavor and we had no problems with that. Check the Elecare Jr website, as they sell formula a lot cheaper than what someone charges your insurance. It's still pricey but may work if you need it to. They also have tips and forms on there to help work with your insurance to attempt to get it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    would your insurance cover it if you had a letter of medial necessity from the dr? ours was actually billed under durable medical equipment and we had to have letters from the dr. just a thought, as sometimes you have to play games with insurance. i was recently told that our insurance would not cover speech developmental delays. I called back because technically DS's issues were caused by his ear infections, not a developmental delay. After a few conversations and working with the coding dept at the hospital, it was determined that he did in fact qualify for speech coverage. We just had to know how to work the system properly so it didn't get denied.

I added a small amount of white grape juice to DS's elecare. It smells similar to Alimentum so maybe try that? It was just enough to mask the yucky smell. When he turned 1 we switched to Elecare Jr, which comes in Vanilla flavor and we had no problems with that. Check the Elecare Jr website, as they sell formula a lot cheaper than what someone charges your insurance. It's still pricey but may work if you need it to. They also have tips and forms on there to help work with your insurance to attempt to get it covered.
    Thanks so much for the advice. Our insurance will not cover any types of formula unless it is administered via gastric tube. I've already spoken with the benefits dept and durable medical equipment. I'll give the flavoring trick a try and also look into Elecare Jr pricing on their website.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS had a milk protein allergy, outgrown around 15 months. His doctor told us we could try goat's milk. Not sure how correct that is, since we just continued Allimentum and then he grew out of it so I didn't research it. May be worth looking into though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2