flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Older kids in convertibles

I need new convertibles, one for DD1 and one for DD2 for DH's car. I plan to rear face until 4 and then FF as long as I can in the convertible. Are there ones that are better for FF in terms of size and "cool" factor? Like should I get a Foonf or Radian vs a Nextfit or the new Britax because they look more babyish and less enticing for a 5/6 yr old? Or do kids not really notice the difference?

I have a Foonf and it's certainly chair like and sleek, but it is kind of narrow and I wonder if it's really that comfortable for a 6 yr old. But the Britax has such a small seat depth that I imagine an older kid would be sprawling out of it. Any truth to those thoughts?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

I have no idea, but I'm looking at getting the peg perego convertible for DS2 who turns 1 tomorrow. It rear faces until 45 lbs. The foonf looks uncomfortable for a little one and the fabric is not washable and I can't imagine what would happen when a kid pukes on it. My just turned 5 year old is only 39 lbs, so I can't see myself using the 45 lb rear facing limit. In my case, Ds2 will sit in DS1's old frontier 90 when he's older (since Ds1 is 4 years older and won't need to be harnessed at age 8.). The peg has awesome reviews, check it out!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I do love the low-profileness and deep leg support on the Radians... and they are so roomy for rearfacing... Also like the looks of the Peg, but don't have any experience with it. I think most kids are fine in convertibles till kindergarten at least, longer if they fit longer and especially if they ride a schoolbus and have less time to peer into other cars. My smaller girl (who is now almost 15, yikes!) was comfy in her Marathon till about age 6 (when she started Kindy, my kids are among the oldest in their grades--she RF'd in it till she was 4.5, and that was the old model with the 33lb weight limit, hahaha, now she's 5'7" and by far the tallest of her friends)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

PS, have you looked at the new Graco 4Ever? I know it doesn't have the cache' of the branded seats, but it might be terrific, I love the adjustability and low-profileness of it, and the big-kid look it has. We have a rare Radian online-return in our store now, and while it's incredibly plush and low profile, I love the overall shape and ease of use of the Graco by comparison.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wish I knew the answer! I need one more seat for DH's car when DD outgrows her infant seat. DS will probably be 3.5+ at that time so I'm torn on getting a convertible to try to RF him a little longer, or get a combination seat which seems "cooler" but possibly more comfortable than a FF convertible? I don't even know where I got that idea!

We really love the Ranier RF-ing for comfort, and I have 2 G3 Britax's for DD...

I almost wish they made unipurpose seats instead of everything trying to do more than one thing and sometimes not doing one that well.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Combo seats tend to sit more upright, which I guess depending on the kid they find more or less comfortable. My ff'ing kids are always in frontiers or radian, both of which they seem to find comfy. My 4 year old prefers his "polka dot" radian (old style - XTSL) but has to be in a frontier for install reasons (and has been for several months but still asks for his polka dot seat) - I would have thought the cupholders would have won him over but apparently not.

Adding: Occasionally they've been in a peg or marathon ff'ing and they're definitely more reclined but they didn't complain (but only short trips in DH's car). Definitely seemed to have more space to spread out in radian though.