Thread: Problem Areas

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Problem Areas

I thought we could list some problem areas we have in the house and give solutions..let's see if we can spark any ideas.

I'll start

1. Artwork/school things keeping in memory box.

Artwork
    I've struggled with this for a while. I ended up buying cardboard sheets, folding into half way and stapling the sides, to make an envelope of sorts. I have one for each year. I'm not keeping all the artwork and take photos of bulky items. I then have all the years in a big ikea under bed box, similar to this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130129/

I can fit 2 years side-by-side, and stack more on top. As he's getting older, there's less to keep, which is good, as I plan to only have 1 under bed box. I may end up putting a couple of years in one envelope. I'm sure I've kept more than needed, so I'll need to purge some of the contents.

Memory box
    I have a filing box with one hanging folder for each year. In that goes yearbook, report cards, extra school photos and sport team photos, any certificates etc.

HTH
    Last edited by niccig; 08-19-2014 at 06:34 PM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Posters and other large visual aids. We have maps and a few other things on our wall all of the time, but we have certain posters we use for HSing but only in certain units. I don't have a problem with where to hang them, but storing them is awkward. I have yet to find a solution that works well for me.

We do a HS portfolio every year (required in my state) so the best artwork samples go in there and I keep those. During the year the kids put their stuff in one of those large Alex accordian-style art portfolios. I have a file for each kid in my personal filebox (stuff I access regularly) and keep little paper mementos in there.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    Posters and other large visual aids. We have maps and a few other things on our wall all of the time, but we have certain posters we use for HSing but only in certain units. I don't have a problem with where to hang them, but storing them is awkward. I have yet to find a solution that works well for me.

We do a HS portfolio every year (required in my state) so the best artwork samples go in there and I keep those. During the year the kids put their stuff in one of those large Alex accordian-style art portfolios. I have a file for each kid in my personal filebox (stuff I access regularly) and keep little paper mementos in there.
    Could you store the posters in mailing tubes. Or if you want them to be out, Alejandro.tv stored wrapping paper in a tall basket, but first she hot glued styrofoam cups to cardboard base inside the basket - it was a very clever idea. I know I dissed her organization as being too matchy-matchy for me, but she does have clever ideas.
    http://www.alejandra.tv/blog/2014/03...zation-series/

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Paperwork is my downfall. I like to keep credit card statements, medical insurance statements. I need to scan my old statements so I can shred what I have. Anyone scan their paperwork? What's your procedure? How do you organize the digital files? TIA

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My laundry room. It's off the mudroom, which has the garage door to it. So, anything that I don't put away immediately (like gifts) goes in the laundry room. Extra pantry items go in there. things I'm not sure what to do with end up in there. Items to return go in there. It's not big enough for all that! I think I want shelves on the wall for pantry items. The bottom will be high enough for a couple bins - one for returns and one for stashing things quickly.
    Kris

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I As he's getting older, there's less to keep, which is good, as I plan to only have 1 under bed box. I may end up putting a couple of years in one envelope. HTH
    Off topic --- my DS started middle school this year and is taking music -- not art -- as elective. Most likely, DS had his last art class. I wish I had done a better job saving nice projects in the past. And I wish I had appreciated them more. I probably won't be getting anymore from him. I'm a little sad.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post

While teaching, I always had a homemade folder for posters...2 large posterboards taped together on 3 sides. You could fold the huge things one time and stick them in, but a lot of instructional posters fit in easily. I had some blank posters for dividers inside the big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Paperwork is my downfall. I like to keep credit card statements, medical insurance statements. I need to scan my old statements so I can shred what I have. Anyone scan their paperwork? What's your procedure? How do you organize the digital files? TIA
    I don't scan it. It would just sit there waiting to be scanned, like it sits there waiting to be filed. I just bought the freedom filer. It's a filing system, about $40 for all the labels and instructions on setting it up. It's said to be "self-purging", we'll see on that. The problem is DH pays bills but won't file, he piles. I'm going to set it up and hopefully, he'll use it, if not, I think we'll split the work and he pays and I file. Trick is filing regularly..and that's where I'm not great at.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    My laundry room. It's off the mudroom, which has the garage door to it. So, anything that I don't put away immediately (like gifts) goes in the laundry room. Extra pantry items go in there. things I'm not sure what to do with end up in there. Items to return go in there. It's not big enough for all that! I think I want shelves on the wall for pantry items. The bottom will be high enough for a couple bins - one for returns and one for stashing things quickly.
    Is there room to put things that waiting to deal with. Just wondering if it's in a box/basket, it'll help keep it container. I've put an empty banker's box in garage with label of 'donations' to hopefully contain things while I wait to drop them off.