Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    I have dark almost black hair and bright magenta highlights. I've maintained the style for almost 10 years. My hair's color is stripped out, with bleach to a fairly medium blond. That's rinsed. Get excess water out of the hair. put the bright color on the ends. put the hair up under a shower cap and sit under a hot dryer (at salon it's usually a hood) for the entire time that the color is supposed to be on. Let the hair cool down, then rinse. The less you shampoo and swim, the longer the color will last. It's not a permanent color, it's a vegetable dye (if it's what I use). It will also wear off, so it is important to have dark colored towels and sheets.

As to the difference in results between your DD and your friend's DD, well is their hair texture similar? I think this blog post might be helpful. http://jadmontenegro.tumblr.com/post...ing-asian-hair ETA: make sure your stylist is experienced coloring her type of hair. it makes a HUGE difference. My colorist is a curly hair expert, which is why I go to her. Hair color is part art part science.
    Thanks so much! Interestingly enough my dd and my friend's do have the same (or at least very similar) hair texture. I am thinking she probably left her dd's in longer than she remembered (it has been a couple of years). I am really worried about frying dd's hair (both before and after reading the blog post), but don't really know what to do--it really doesn't look good the way it is. The only thing I can think of is to dye it back black--which she doesn't want. I guess I will try to get her to the hair stylist to show her what it looks like asap to see what she suggests--but I am thinking it will need to be bleached a little more before color is put on again.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not hesitate to reapply the color, particularly after summer swimming is over for your DD. It will not further damage her hair. When I shampooed more frequently than I do (I am no on a curly girl regime and don't shampoo much at all, so a color stays vibrant on me for ages) my stylist put some of the color that was left from my magenta into a conditioner. When I washed, I put the conditioner with color on. I let it sit for a while and rinsed. That can help. If she swims, put conditioner in her hair, and encourage her to wear a cap. (dorky, I know, but that's the price we pay for cool hair).

This is the brand you want.
    http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...ory/Hair-Color

And, don't skip that dryer + shower cap step.
    Last edited by larig; 08-22-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    I would not hesitate to reapply the color, particularly after summer swimming is over for your DD. It will not further damage her hair. When I shampooed more frequently than I do (I am no on a curly girl regime and don't shampoo much at all, so a color stays vibrant on me for ages) my stylist put some of the color that was left from my magenta into a conditioner. When I washed, I put the conditioner with color on. I let it sit for a while and rinsed. That can help. If she swims, put conditioner in her hair, and encourage her to wear a cap. (dorky, I know, but that's the price we pay for cool hair).
    Thanks! I am thinking she will need to bleach it more though (that's what the Sally's person said too). Luckily her last swim of the summer will probably be next week and our appt with the stylist is that weekend (when the week is through), so wont have to worry about swimming.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly I'd so a temporary chalking until the pros can fix it.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

We opted for purple hair extensions from Etsy for exactly this reason.

I got some Manic Panic from Sally's for DD. I've done streaks in her hair and streaks in my hair. The color doesn't last very long at all and wasn't as vibrant as I'd hoped but I'm not at all worried about the color damaging our hair. There's no smell from the color and you can leave it on for a really long time - I left mine in overnight. DD doesn't like to sit around with the color in her hair (I apply some and then wrap the colored streak in foil) and she doesn't like it if I try to apply some heat from a blow dryer either so her color only ends up being noticeable for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    I got some Manic Panic from Sally's for DD. I've done streaks in her hair and streaks in my hair. The color doesn't last very long at all and wasn't as vibrant as I'd hoped but I'm not at all worried about the color damaging our hair. There's no smell from the color and you can leave it on for a really long time - I left mine in overnight. DD doesn't like to sit around with the color in her hair (I apply some and then wrap the colored streak in foil) and she doesn't like it if I try to apply some heat from a blow dryer either so her color only ends up being noticeable for a few days.
    Thanks! Manic Panic was what we used the second time--after bleaching.

I've never tried any vibrant (or not natural) hair colors, but I've tried to do it myself and gone to the cheaper chain salons for hair color. I have learned my lesson and now only use nicer salons and never ever attempt to do it myself. It just doesn't ever end up nice. This once, I'd take her to a salon and have them correct it so it doesn't damage the hair.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2