Question Anyone have a Funtainer Thermos food jar for their Kindergartner? Can they open it?

I've been thinking of getting one or two for DD to carry warm foods for lunch at school, but I'm concerned she won't be able to open it herself. I would have her try it at Target or TRU before buying it there or on Amazon, but I haven't found any at a local store.

What's been your experience with the food jar Funtainers? I'm assuming it's a screw top but that K teachers don't open the kids' lunch containers for them?

Thanks for your help!

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It is a screw top. DD has one that we got last year for K and she can open it fine herself. The teachers do not help kids with their lunch, so I think we might have eaten with it at home once before she took it to school.
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

I don't screw it on really tight and DS was able to open it himself when he was in K last year. To keep the food warm, I first put hot water in the thermos then empty it before putting the food in.
    Mommy to DS 2007

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, no problems opening here. Some older kids were volunteers at our school to help kids open tricky things like yogurt tubes, fruit cups, etc.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I teach kinder, and the lunch aides are always wiling to help the kids open containers, go gurts, milk cartons etc. As the year goes on they help the kids become more self sufficient, but they will always help as needed. The only things they won't/can't do is warm up food in a microwave nor will they actually feed them (spoon feed them soups, etc). We get those requests a lot. They also can't make a kid eat anything. They can encourage kids to eat their lunch, but if the child doesn't want to, there isn't anything we can do about it.

DD never had a problem with hers in K. DS1 has only used it once, and it didn't hear any complaints. I know there's someone in the lunch room who can help them opening things if necessary.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just bought one yesterday for my Kindergarten. I haven't had him try to open it but in the store my three year old opened it, look out the instructions, stuffed some other stuff in there, closed it, took out that stuff, put the lid back on, etc. You should be fine!~

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used it last year for pre-k and my daughter could open it. Try not to screw it on too tight. I am sure a teacher would help her if she needed it.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't screw it on really tight

I think this is key. I make it tight enough so it doesn't leak, but no tighter.

At our school, the teachers are not with the kids in the cafeteria because that's their break/lunch time. There are cafeteria helpers, but it's loud and it can take the helpers a long time to notice that a kid needs help. Whenever I visit my kid at lunch time, I'm always helping kids at the table open food containers, juice boxes, etc.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)